Monday, August 10, 2026

Florida law prompts St. Johns commissioners to question lobbyist's loyalty. (Jessica Clark, First Coast News, August 5, 2026)


From First Coast News:

Florida law prompts St. Johns commissioners to question lobbyist's loyalty

Three commissioners say hired lobbyist did not inform them about a bill that limits home rule regarding development. Lobbyist's other clients include developers.

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. — A Florida bill that became law July 1 seemingly sneaked by some St. Johns County commissioners.  

Those commissioners say it's going to impact the county in a big way by basically bypassing the county’s approval process for development of large neighborhoods.

Some St. Johns County leaders are wondering why the county's hired lobbying firm did not inform them about the bill that minimizes home rule. Additionally, two leaders question if there is a conflict of interest, given that its other clients include large developers. 

When it comes to describing Senate Bill 686, which re-defines an agricultural enclave, St. Johns County Commissioner Krista Joseph said, "It’s horrible for the people of this county. It completely takes home rule away."  

County Commissioner Ann Taylor said, "It takes away the voice of our residents, so it’s infuriating." 

Commissioner Clay Murphy said, "It is a challenge for us locally."

The rewritten law essentially allows developers to apply for a a piece of land to receive a designation called an “agricultural enclave.”  And if that undeveloped piece of land meets the state law’s new criteria for that designation – that it’s surrounded by a certain amount of development -- the piece land can be developed, regardless if the project meets localapproval requirements for construction.

Murphy said, "It feels like a pre-emption, like an end around."

The Florida legislature passed the Agricultural Enclave law this past March. However, at least three of the five St. Johns County commissioners had not heard about the bill until later.

Taylor and Joseph said they heard about the bill in May. Murphy said he "found out about 686 when the legislature passed it."

And here's the rub. The county hired a lobbying firm to inform them about major bills that would affect the county's residents. 

St. Johns County hired three lobbying firms last year. One of them – The Fiorentino Group – which now goes by the Florida Group – was contractually hired at $96,000 per year.  It was hired to specifically keep the county abreast of issues at the legislative and state level.

Joseph said, "We rely on the lobbying group to let us know what is coming down from Tallahassee."

However, Commissioners Joseph, Taylor, and Murphy said the lobbying firm did not inform them about the Agricultural Enclave bill when it was moving through the legislature.

So I really want to know why we weren’t warned of this," Joseph said. 

"I was not contacted by anybody. I had no idea about SB 686 as far as from our lobbying company or anybody," Taylor said. 

Murphy is not as upset with the Florida Group lobbyists. "I would love to be able to point the finger at somebody and say it was their fault," Murphy noted, "but ultimately the responsibility was mine to know and I didn’t."

The Florida Group declined an on-camera interview. However, it sent First Coast News a statement saying it has represented St. Johns County for 15 years and has secured $110 million in state funding for county projects. It did not respond to questions about whether or not it told the county commission about SB 686.  However, the Florida Group did say, “We did not advocate for passage of SB 686.”

Looking at the firm’s list of clients on its website, it includes major developers such as Hutson Companies which is building Silverleaf, one of the largest neighborhoods in St. Johns County. It is also tied to former Florida Senator Travis Hutson. Another client of The Florida Group is a developer called PARC Group. PARC Group has developed Nocatee, and PARC Group stands to benefit from the new law because the company has placed a request through the new Agricultural Enclave law to build on more than 4,400 acres north of Nocatee up to Ponte Vedra.

When asked about The Florida Groups other clients, Joseph told First Coast News, "It’s a conflict of interest! Absolutely. I mean if they’re lobbying for us and we don’t want overdevelopment and they’re also lobbying for the developers, that doesn’t sound like it’s going to be in our favor."

Taylor said, "I think it’s a complete conflict of interest. You cannot represent our county and then at the same time represent developers. You can’t do it."

According to the application The Fiornetino Group – now the Florida Group - filed when trying to win the bid to be the county’s lobbyist, the company signed a document saying there was no conflict of interest.

Joseph said, "I like to look at their conflict of interest and how we go forward."

The Florida Group’s statement to First Coast News said, “Our firm upholds the highest ethical standards and we are careful to avoid any conflicts of interest.”

If you look at the tiny print in the supplemental application documents the lobbying firm gave to the county, the firm does list its clients which also include the North Florida Builders Association and other construction companies.

n February 2025, the County commission – made up of all the current commissioners -- approved the Fiorentino or Florida Group’s contract.

When I asked Taylor about approving the contract, she said,  'I wish I could go back in time. Trust me. I wish I could go back in time. I’m very interested in taking a closer look at the contract and just the breakdown in communication.'

As for Murphy, he has a more reserved view when comes the question about conflict of interest with the lobbyist firm.

'I don't know if I’m qualified to answer that," Murphy noted. "I know that all of the major lobbying groups have clients that could be considered on both sides of something."

According to political analyst John Daigle, "It’s very common, especially for big lobbying firms to represent multiple agencies and businesses that often do business together."

Daigle said lobbying firms can have internal methods to handle clients with opposing views. Currently,  it's unknown if The Florida Group does. 

As for the question regarding conflict of interest with St. Johns County, Daigle said, "I don’t think there’s any laws or ethical rules that say the Florida Group had to make them aware of it.  But you might argue they should have. But again, it also comes back to whether you consider this development bad for St. Johns County or good for St. Johns County.. and there are people on both sides of that issue."



No comments: