Saturday, August 29, 2026

ANNALS OF TRUMPI$TAN: S.E.C. Investigating Near-Implosion of A.I. Hedge Fund. (Rob Copeland & Matthew Goldstein, NY Times, August 24, 2026)

From The New York Times:


S.E.C. Investigating Near-Implosion of A.I. Hedge Fund


Regulators sent subpoenas to major Wall Street banks seeking information about the trading of Situational Awareness, three people briefed on the outreach said.

Listen · 3:23 min
Leopold Aschenbrenner, seen from the waist up, leans against a glass partition with his arms folded. He is wearing a beige crew-neck sweater.
Situational Awareness was founded two years ago by Leopold Aschenbrenner, formerly of OpenAI.Credit...Nicholas Albrecht for The New York Times

Rob Copeland is a finance reporter for The Times, writing about Wall Street and the banking industry.

Matthew Goldstein is a Times reporter who covers Wall Street and white-collar crime and housing issues.

A version of this article appears in print on Aug. 26, 2026, Section B, Page 4 of the New York edition with the headline: S.E.C. Is Investigating The Near-Implosion Of an A.I. Hedge FundOrder Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe


No comments: