Friday, March 07, 2008

Letter: Mooring field will affect future 'cruisers'' visits

Letter: Mooring field will affect future 'cruisers'' visits



John J. Kettlewell
Publication Date: 03/07/08

Editor: It is unfortunate that St. Augustine is contemplating eliminating anchoring in favor of a mooring field. This will reduce visits by cruisers like myself. I've been visiting by water for about 23 years and I've spent thousands of dollars in St. Augustine.

I will not visit if I must use a mooring and register with the city. In my experience moorings are unsafe compared to my own anchoring gear. I do not choose to spend money for a mooring when I carry approximately $4000 worth of anchoring equipment onboard, and I resent the hassle and wasted time required to register and submit to pollution inspections, etc. I believe many other boaters feel the same and word will soon spread. On my last visits to Ft. Myers Beach and Marathon, both with mooring fields, many if not most of the moorings were empty and there were vastly fewer boats visiting than in previous winters. St. Augustine businesses will suffer and taxpayers will be stuck paying for the moorings, staff, maintenance, and other facilities. Moorings are fine for local boats staying long term, but the city should leave ample room for transients, like myself, who prefer to anchor, or else we will go elsewhere and spend our money elsewhere.

John J. Kettlewell

Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Click here to return to story:
http://staugustine.com/stories/030708/opinions_txt01_024.shtml

© The St. Augustine Record

No comments: