Sent: Fri, Oct 31, 2014 12:42 am
Subject: NO DIVERSITY: GLBTQ People Excluded From Compassionate St. Augustine's "Obelisk Art 450" List (Along WIth Meaningful Public Participation)
Dear David, John, Isabelle, Mayor, Vice Mayor and Commissioners, et al.:
1. I have reviewed the tentative list of 25 obelisk locations and subjects presented to Commission at 10/27 meeting, belatedly and reluctantly provided to me by Compassionate St. Augustine a few hours ago.
2. It lacks scholarship, respect and appreciation for our City's history -- nothing on GLBTQ history. Why?
3. If not substantially altered, public interest litigants could easily challenge this exclusionary list in federal court and win, based on the public forum doctrine. See Chief Judge Henry Lee Adam's Order Granting Injunctive relief re: City discrimination against Rainbow flags in Jensen v. City of St. Augustine, Florida, 3:2005cv00504 (M.D.Fla., June 7, 2005).
4. Please review the half-baked, half-hearted, unbalanced Obelisk Art 450 (OA 450) proposal with a gimlet eye, e.g., for conformity with our First Amendment, our values, and our Comprehensive Plan.
5. Pendente such agonizing reappraisal of the OA 450 proposal and its secretive etiology, please grant no permits to this secretive, exclusionary, privately-run group, which has recently given the cold shoulder to creativity and First Amendment protected activity, disrespecting GLBTQ rights in its idiocyncratic list of obelisk subjects.
6. Is this a community project, a private club or a cult? What does it mean by its angry statement to me about "OUR values?"
7. Please require openness, transparency and diversity in any use of our City property, streets and permits by OA 450. Otherwise, please advise me of any permits being granted so that we may consider an appeal to City Commission for review of Comprehensive Plan conformity. F.S. 163.3215; Homosassa River Alliance v. Citrus County, 2 So. 3d 329 (Fla. 5th Dist. App. 2009), rev. denied, 16 So. 3d 132 (Fla. 2009); 10/27 City Commission vote on standing re: 100 MLK demolition permit sought by St. Paul A.M.E. Church.
With kindest regards, I am,