Saturday, November 23, 2013

JFK

On Halloween, 1963, I dressed up as JFK. Some 22 days later he was murdered in Dallas.
I was six years old.
My father opined that JFK's murder was a conspiracy, and read every JFK conspiracy related book, including the Warren Commission report, after which he quizzed the eight top master seargeants in the 82nd Airborne Division, each of them a skilled marksman, each of whom agreed it was impossible for one shooter to make those shots.
In 1968, at age 11, RFK, my presidential candidate was murdered in Los Angeles.
In 1974, at age 17.5, I started a volunteer internship for Senator Ted Kennedy the day before my first classes at Georgetown University, eventually rising to the pay rate of $53/week, my first job.
Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of JFK's murder.
The conspirators have yet to be arrested, but there is no statute of limitations on homicide (not in civilized countries, anyway).
Yesterday, our Florida National Guard headquarters here in St. Augustine refused to fly its flag at half-staff, as directed by President Obama. Our Florida National Guard and Florida Governor Richard Scott are a "disgrace to the human race" in President Jimmy Carter's phrase.
As LBJ told Congress after Selma, "We SHALL overcome."
Stay tuned.

No comments: