Monday, January 27, 2020

LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Dubious about hire. (Karen Neff,M.P.A., St. Augustine Record)


I agree with Karen Neff -- letter to the editor in today's St. Augustine Record exposes HUNTER S. CONRAD as unqualified, selected in a fatally flawed process, based on religion and politics. Darn good letter!



Opinion
LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Dubious about hire
By Karen Neff, St. Augustine
Posted Jan 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM

EDITOR: In reference to the selection of Hunter Conrad as the new administrator of St Johns County, I wish to add my voice to those already expressing concern for this turn of events.

EDITOR: In reference to the selection of Hunter Conrad as the new administrator of St Johns County, I wish to add my voice to those already expressing concern for this turn of events.

I hold an MPA (Masters of Public Administration) degree from the University of Dayton so am well-versed in the duties and complexities inherent in such a position. First, I question Mr. Conrad’s ability and experience as a professional in the public sector to adequately tackle the complexities, politics, and day-to-day tasks that he must address, especially in a county the size of St. Johns.

And second, I question the process that was used to select Mr. Conrad for this position. While I believe in the power of God as well as good luck and serendipity, it appears to me that his selection was based far more on religious affiliation and/or politics than any practical experience in the public sector. And the speed with which this entire process was carried out by Commissioners suggests nefarious motives on the part of all parties concerned.

As the editorial in Sunday’s paper mentioned, they, and I, wish him well in his new position. I also am keeping fingers crossed that, as so often happens, the citizens of our county don’t get caught (read that ‘screwed’) in the crossfire.

No comments: