Saturday, June 13, 2015

Letter: The road to wasteful spending

Letter: The road to wasteful spending
Wasteful road spending
Posted: June 12, 2015 - 8:29pm

By Clemens Byatt
Wasteful road spending
St. Augustine REcord

Editor: When I see the incredible government waste everywhere I just wonder if an increase in the sales tax is appropriate.

Just for what is probably a miniscule example, if you care to see how your taxes are wasted, take the scenic drive to the intersection of Dobbs Road and Kings Road on Kings Estate Road. The ostensible purpose of this monstrosity was to align Kings and Dobbs, both single-lane country roads 100 feet apart. Instead of simply angling Kings to meet Dobbs, we created something analogous to an interstate interchange, replete with unnecessarily four-laning of all three roads for several hundred feet, creating sidewalks to nowhere, introducing four unnecessary curves in all three roads that will no doubt result in accidents, creating not one but two retention ponds where drainage has not been a problem here since measures were taken 25 years ago to correct that.

When I see this kind of waste, I am not interested in paying a penny more to support such, unless my property taxes are going to be reduced and individuals with some common sense are in place to eliminate such waste.

Mr. Wanchick is apparently too important to respond to my concerns, but rather foists that to his subordinates. At this point I am willing to do Mr. Wanchick’s job for half what he is being paid, and on a good day I might even agree to do it for free.

No comments: