Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Anti-Gay Republican California legislator busted for DUI leaving Sacramento gay nightclub (Faces)


Police in California report State Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.) was arrested early Wednesday morning for drunk driving. Cops say Ashburn was pulled over after leaving the popular Sacramento gay nightclub, Faces.

A police report also indicates Ashburn, a fierce competitor of gay rights who stands staunchly against gay marriage, was stopped with an unidentified man in the passenger seat of his state-issued car. While some of the details of the arrest are not known, Ashburn did release a statement after a host of reporters gained access Wednesday's arrest report.

"I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment," Ashburn said. "I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did. I am also truly sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me - my family, my constituents, my friends, and my colleagues in the Senate."

Sources say Wednesday was not the first time Ashburn has been at the nightclub.

Ashburn graduated from California State University-Bakersfield in 1983. He is a divorced father of four daughters. Ashburn hosted a political radio talk show on KERN 1180 AM, which aired Saturdays.

No comments: