Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sheriff Apologizes For Tacky T-Shirts Mocking Anti-War Protesters

Dear Sheriff Shoar:
Thank you!
With kindest regards,
Ed Slavin


-----Original Message-----
From: David Shoar
To: easlavin@aol.com
Sent: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 2:47 pm
Subject: RE: Offensive T-Shirts Distributed By St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar

Ed,

You are absolutely right. Someone gave me a few of these shirts and when I first read the saying I chuckled. I was speaking to a group of veterans so I brought the shirts along to show the veterans, I guess I fell into the trap that many elected officials do by trying to “pander” to the audience. The shirt should have read, “Hate War, Love our Warriors”. As a veteran who served in a combat zone, I love and support our troops even though I strongly disagree with our policy in the Middle East. I guess we should remember that things viewed from our personal perspective that we think are amusing may not be amusing to others from their perspective, thanks for reinforcing that concept for me. Please accept my apology. I am certain you won’t judge my character or career based on this one issue. Take care and thanks for all that you do, David.



From: easlavin@aol.com [mailto:easlavin@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:38 PM
To: David Shoar
Cc: anne.schindler@folioweekly.com; themail@folioweekly.com; Commissioner Jim Bryant; Commissioner Cyndi Stevenson; Commissioner Ron Sanchez; Commissioner Ben Rich; Commissioner Tom Manuel
Subject: Offensive T-Shirts Distributed By St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar



Dear Sheriff Shoar:
1. Were any public funds used to purchase the t-shirts reported in FOLIO (If You Don't Stand Behind Our Troops, Then Stand in Front of Them)?
2. How much was spent? What purpose was served?
3. Why? Who suggested it?
4. Who was the vendor? Was there competitive bidding?
5. How many shirts were ordered?
6. Do you understand these t-shirts offend reasonable, peaceable people, and appear to invite violence?
7. Do you intend to apologize?
8. Is it "Christian" to display such shirts? Was Jesus a warmonger? Does your Bible say, "though shalt not kill?"
9. Would you attend an event marking Independence Day with incineration of the Declaration of Independence and (in effigy) John Adams and John Hancock -- as British loyalists did here in 1776?
10. Have you read John Dean's book, "Conservatives Without Conscience?" If not, will you please do so?
Thank you.
With kindest regards,
Ed Slavin

No comments: