Saturday, July 11, 2015

Letter: Record libel of Old City South Neighborhood Was Irresponsible

Letter: The Record story was 'irresponsible'
Posted: July 11, 2015 - 11:29pm
By Chris Emerick
St. Augustine
Editor: I was appalled to read your July 4 front page article “Cordova Inn debate gets nasty.”

I found the piece written by Stuart Korfhage to be one of the most irresponsible pieces of “journalism” I’ve seen in a long time.
The author is implying that an incident of vandalism at the former Dow property was perpetrated by the citizens opposed to the Cordova Inn project. This claim is completely unsubstantiated and Korfhage did not provide one shred of evidence.
I’ve lived on St. George Street, a few hundred feet from the property in question, for 14 years. In the past seven months, I’ve experienced three separate incidents of vandalism and/or theft at my property.
Did I assume these acts were committed by Mr. Corneal and his workers because I’ve publicly expressed my opposition to the project? Of course not!
Over time, many of my neighbors have also experienced acts of vandalism. Unfortunately, it’s a reality of living downtown.
I say shame on Mr. Corneal for making these accusations and shame on The Record for providing the forum to endorse them. These types of “dirty tricks” are common in politics, but I would expect better of The St. Augustine Record. You need to print a front page retraction and apology immediately.
Opinion editor’s note: Mr. Emerick. You’re entitled to your impression of the story. But there is no mention by either The Record or Mr. Corneal of who or what was responsible for the vandalism, only that it took place. Thanks for the letter.

No comments: