The misnamed Tallahassee Democrat printed propaganda against Living Wage laws from some hobbledehoy in the employ of something called the "Economic Policies Institute," which is part of a PR firm.
Here's a Los Angeles Times article that contains accurate information about the effects of raising worker wages in California.
No opposing column was presented. Why?
What shallowness. This is what we've grown to expect from monopolistic GANNETT.
I grew up reading the Courier Post from Camden, N.J., one of the several daily newspapers my parents and I read, including The New York Times and Philadelphia Inquirer.
My mother called the Courier-Post a "dumb paper." Mom was right.
Monopolistic, anti-labor GANNETT's founder was FRANK ERNEST GANNETT (FEG), a mean old man (photo above) who bitterly opposed the New Deal.
FEG was an anti-labor energumen.
In FEG's grasping, greedy, materialistic spirit, GANNETT introduced shallowness on a national scale with too-short "McPaper" stories in dumb 'ole USA Today, and which then went on a massive acquisition campaign of buying up daily newspapers and turning them into cash cows for stockholders, while shedding thousands of reporters and editors.
Journalism is not the same as it was before USA Today began and GANNETT proceeded to turn every one of its newspapers into a clone of it.
When my late friend and mentor, Nashville Tennessean Pulitzer Prize winner Nat Caldwell, learned that GANNETT bought the Tennesseean, he was heartbroken.
Nat quietly predicted what came to pass at the once-venerable Nashville newspaper, which crusaded against wrongdoers, including Teamsters President James Riddle Hoffa, earning longtime President and Publisher John Seigenthaler a key role in the Justice Department under Attorney General Robert F. Kennedhy.
For those of us in the "reality-based community," here's the truth about the "Employment Policies Institute," a phony arm of Berman & Co., which "lobbies for the restaurant, hotel, alcoholic beverage and tobacco industries."
Employment Policies Institute
"When it comes to reforming the health care system, Congress is trying to do too much, too fast. Not everyone agrees that we need reform of America’s health care system. Unfortunately, Congressional leaders are cutting backroom deals with special interest groups and writing bills that will lead to higher taxes, higher insurance premiums and fewer health care choices. The solution is not more government intrusion into the health care system, but less. It’s time for Congress to rethink health care reform, focusing on: Increasing health care choices; Reining in health care costs; and Controlling the growth of government to avoid escalating the national debt."
- Richard Berman is listed as EPI's executive director.
- Sarah Longwell is a press contact for EPI and for the Center for Union Facts
- David Kreutzer, economist, who in 2008 wrote letters to newspaper op/ed pages arguing against minimum wage hikes and payday loan industry regulation
- Richard B. Berman, President & Executive Director
- Craig Garthwaite, Secretary/Treasurer & Director
- John Berglund, Director
- James R. Ledley, Director
- Shannon Foust, Director
- Paul Avery, Director
- Gerald Francis, Director
- Warren Hardie, Director
- Berman & Company (Management company)
- Thomas K. Dilworth, whose name appeared in some news stories as EPI's research director and was listed as a director on the groups 2000 IRS return;
- In 1999, EPI's Form 990 listed Ray Kraftson as a director.
- One of the trustees of EPI is Michael Morgan, personnel director for Northern Foods, a British-based food processing and manufacturing company.
- Richard Toikka, a member of the Republican National Lawyers Association, is also EPI's chief economist.
- Restaurant magnate Norman Brinker has served as chairman of EPI. Brinker is the chairman and CEO of Brinker International. He is also the founder of the Steak and Ale restaurant chain, a former chairman of Burger King, and past President of the Pillsbury restaurant group (all of which are either former employers of Rick Berman or clients of Berman & Co.).
- Chris Sullivan, president and founder of Outback Steakhouses has served as chairman of EPI. According to an article in the New York Observer, Outback Steakhouses political aciton committee is a major sponser of the EPI. ;
- John Doyle, communications director for Berman & Co., also serves as a spokesman for the EPI, as well as two other Berman organizations, the Center for Consumer Freedom and the American Beverage Institute.
- Kevin Lang of Boston University has authored a study sponsored by EPI.
- Jacob Dweck, Former Director
- Jeff Campbell, Former Director
- Berman & Company's Center for Organizational Research and Education: $300,000 for "research groups and their impact on employment losses in the energy industry."
No grants reported.
- Martin Family Foundation: $5,286
- Berman & Company's Center for Union Facts: $257,548 for "educational issues regarding unionization of employees."
- Total revenue: $3,664,345
- Total expenditures: $2,615,979
- Payments to Richard Berman & Company for "Management, advertising, research & acct fees": $1,007,236
- EPI claimed only $6,154 in lobbying expenses for 2014.
- Net assets: $1,925,737
- Total revenue: $2,347,584
- Total expenditures: $2,131,002
- Payments to Richard Berman & Company for "Management, advertising, research & acct fees": $1,044,056
- EPI claimed it had only $5 in lobbying expenses for 2013.
- Net assets: $877,371
- Total revenue: $2,958,091
- Total expenditures: $2,357,088
- Payments to Richard Berman & Company for "Management, advertising, research & acct fees": $1,038,621
- EPI claimed it had $0 in lobbying expenses for 2012.
- Net assets: $660,789
- Total revenue: $1,629,930
- Total expenditures: $2,103,896
- Payments to Richard Berman & Company for "daily monitoring/analysis on a worldwide basis on issues important to the organization, advertising, public and media relations, program management and promotion of information to the public": $1,165,601
- Total revenue: $5,910,092
- Total expenditures: $7,054,260
- Payments to Richard Berman & Company: $1,630,104
1775 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: 202 463 7650
FAX: (202) 463-7107
Email: rberman AT new-reality.com
Main website: http://www.epionline.org
- EPI's previous phone number, (202) 463-7110, was the same as for other Berman front groups such as the Center for Consumer Freedom.
- search google for above fax# "(202) 463-7107" 
- Anne Landman, Rick Berman's For-Profit Non-Profits Under the Microscope, PRWatch.org, June 20, 2010.
- Anne Landman, Rick Berman Attacks the Humane Society, PRWatch.org, February 17, 2010.
- Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber, Berman & Co.: "Nonprofit" Hustlers for the Food & Booze Biz, PRWatch, First Quarter 2001, Volume 8, No. 1.
- AFT Facts
- American Beverage Institute
- Bad Idea California
- Big Green Radicals
- Center for Consumer Freedom
- Center for Economic and Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Center for Organizational Research and Education
- Center for Union Facts
- CREW Exposed
- CSPI Scam
- Defeat the Debt
- Employment Policies Institute
- Enterprise Freedom Action Committee
- Environmental Policy Alliance
- EPA Facts
- Family Coalition
- First Jobs Institute
- Green Decoys
- Hands Off My Bacon
- Humane Society for Shelter Pets
- Interlock Facts
- Interstate Policy Alliance
- LEED Exposed
- Maternity Pens
- No Drink Tax
- PCRM Scam
- PETA Kills Animals
- Physician Scam
- Protecting Bad Teachers
- Responsible Limits
- Rethink Reform
- Rotten ACORN
- SEIU Exposed
- Step Up Wyoming
- Sweet Scam
- Teachers Union Exposed
- The New Prohibition
- Tipped Wage
- Unite Here Exposed
- Vote Our Future
- Humane Society of the United States, Richard Berman's Apparent Tax Scam, organizational IRS complaint website, launched November 2012.
- Joe Fassler, "Does the Food Lobby Really Care about Freedom of Choice? Fuhgeddaboutit!, OnEarth Blog, November 13, 2012.
- Wayne Pacelle, "The Confidence Man, Unmasked, and Asked to Answer to the IRS, A Human Nation HSUS blog, November 2, 2012.
- Mark Drajem & Brian Wingfield, Union Busting by Profiting From Non-Profit May Breach IRS, Bloomberg, November 1, 2012.
- James Verini, "Bull Market: Forrest and Kimberly Smith Think New Yorkers Will Be Kookaburra for Their Cheap Steaks", New York Observer, August 20, 2001.
- Michael P., "Metro Center Advertising - Front Groups ," blog "Infosnack Headquarters," September 24, 2008.
- Employment Policies Institute Foundation, "Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax", 2005, Statement 12.
- Terry Gross, A Closer Look At How Corporations Influence Congress, National Public Radio, February 13, 2014.
- Mosi Secret, "[http://www.propublica.org/article/rotten-acorn-ad-funded-by-anti-minimum-wage-group/ 'Rotten' ACORN Ad Funded by Anti-Minimum Wage Group]," ProPublica, October 29, 2008.
- Richard B. Berman Richard B. Berman Resume'. January 1995. Philip Morris Bates No. 2072148764
- Peter Dreier, "Why LA County Supervisor Mike Antonovich Hired a Phony Corporate-Backed 'Research' Firm to Kill the Minimum Wage Plan," Huffington Post, July 8, 2015.
- Abby Sewell, "L.A. County minimum wage hike poised to pass with Solis' support," L.A. Times, July 19, 2015.
- Abby Sewell, Jean Merl and Katie Shepherd, "L.A. County supervisors agree to boost minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020," L.A. Times, July 21, 2015.
- Employment Policies Institute, "New EPI Ad Campaign Highlights Consequences of $10.10 Wage Hike Ahead of Senate Vote," organization website, April 29, 2014.
- Employment Policies Institute, Heard about all those economists who support raising the minimum wage?, New York Times full-page ad, February 27, 2014.
- Peter Coy, Pssst: Some Economists Favoring $10.10 an Hour Are Marxists, BusinessWeek, February 27, 2014.
- Jennifer Liberto, "Big business hits back on minimum wage," CNNMoney, February 21, 2014.
- Peaceful Times. Local smoking bans backfire, hurt restaurants R.J. Reynolds. July 15, 1994. Bates No. 511413918/3923
- Our Presentation is About: A A Philip Morris internal presentation; January 1997. Bates No. 2070258088/8114
- Employment Policies Institute, 2014 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, November 11, 2015.
- Employment Policies Institute, "2013 IRS Form 990," organizational tax filing, November 20, 2014.
- Employment Policies Institute, "2012 IRS Form 990," organizational tax filing, November 21, 2013.
- Employment Policy Institute, 2010 Form 990, company document on file with IRS, accessed April 11, 2013
- Employment Policy Institute, 2011 Form 990, company document on file with IRS, accessed April 11, 2013
- Employment Policy Institute, 2010 Form 990, company document on file with IRS, accessed April 11, 2013
- Employment Policies Institute Foundation, "Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax", 2005, Statement 2.
- Employment Policies Institute Foundation, "Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax", 2005, Statement 4.
- Employment Policies Institute Foundation, "Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax", 2005, Statement 14.