Monday, August 03, 2015

Judge Nahum Litt (Retired) Turns 80 Today -- United States Department of Labor Chief Judge 1979-1995


My mentor, Nahum Litt, turned 80 today.
I called and sang Happy Birthday to him; he was sitting with his only offspring, the incomparable Marcia, enjoying his special day.
Clerking for him was one of the transformative experiences in my life. He continues to inspire, perspire and enrage one-percenters. He assured the independence of administrative law adjudications for workers' compensation claimants and employee whistleblowers during the depths of depravity (e.g., the Reagan and Bush Administrations).
The day after President George Herbert Walker Bush's defeat in 1992, Nahmi turned to his colleagues (all Assistant Secretaries at a budget meeting at USDOL), saying, "Well, I guess I'm the only one doing a FY' 1993 budget." Upon Bush's leaving office, I collected a key souvenir -- the official U.S. Government color framed photo of Bush from USDOL OALJ, which hung there from January 20, 1981 until January 20, 1993 (it now hangs over a toilet in our St. Augustine residence).
For years, Chief Judge Litt and I worked to abolish an unaccountable federal agency (Administrative Conference of the United States), which ceased to exist from 1995-2010. He helped persuade the American Bar Association House of Delegates to pass resolutions protecting Gay rights (1989), whistleblower rights (1990) and security clearance due process (1989). All under the nose of the Reagan-Bush administration.
His chutzpa and courage are legendary in administrative law circles, and his many friends celebrate his 80th birthday today.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

What a wonderful article, Ed! Very well written with very nice memories of Judge Litt. Speaking of Judge Litt, I worked for him at the OALJ for many years. I was the Writer-Editor/Congressional Liaison. It was a pleasure and a great honor to work for him! I believe you were Judge Litt's law clerk at the time I was there. I also remember Marcia always came down to the office to visit her father. Hope you and Judge Litt and Marcia are doing well these days. Carolyn Ohlbaum

Ed Slavin said...

Thank you, Carolyn!
Cheers!
Ed Slavin
904-377-4998