Saturday, June 09, 2007

Fish Island shold be rejected by the City

Letter: Fish Island should be rejected by cityLola SorensenSt. AugustinePublication Date: 06/09/07
Editor: The Planning and Zoning Board of St. Augustine has now denied, twice, the application by developers to construct a gigantic pier over sensitive marsh land that would connect to a long floating dock in the Matanzas River. There would be 100 boat slips, moorage for the private yachts belonging to residents of the condos and estate homes the developers will build on Fish Island. Now the project goes to the City Commission Monday.
As I recently walked along Shore Drive opposite Fish Island, I looked over as I always do and admired the pristine beauty of the shoreline, a sailboat going by, and a few modest fishing boats. I thought about how quickly that could all disappear Monday. I imagined life in a community that has no will to determine the kind of development it will allow, but instead caves in to the wishes of any developer who comes to town with a fistful of dollars and a grand scheme. It made me shudder. I quickly switched my vision to what we have right now, which is unbelievable beauty and the hope that our City Commission has the good sense to preserve it.
We have a comprehensive plan. It says a marina and dock must benefit the public as a whole. Clearly, this private and exclusive dock does not do that. We have complete information about what an estuary habitat requires to stay healthy. Clearly, this project would compromise the environment, destroying both flora and fauna, as testimony by expert after expert has confirmed. And we have a quality of life that I, for one, am willing to fight for.
Therefore, I urge the City Commission to deny the application for the pier and dock west of Fish Island. I urge you, my fellow citizens, to write, email or call your city commissioners, and... to show up at the meeting on Monday at 5 p.m. at City Hall to stand for your opposition to this project and to the kind of development it represents.
Lola Sorensen
St. AugustineClick here to return to story:http://staugustine.com/stories/060907/opinions_46438A2.shtml © The St. Augustine Record

No comments: