Sunday, October 07, 2007

Guest Column: Usina land given for ag center only

Guest Column: Usina land given for ag center only

LAURIE USINA PETTY
St. Augustine
Publication Date: 10/07/07

I'm a lifelong resident of St. Johns County and a business owner. I have recently had the misfortune of running head long into the arrogant attitude of the present St. Johns County Commission and administration. This situation has arisen as a result of my parents, Charles and Gabye Usina's generous donation of land to the people of St. Johns County. In 1983, my parents made a gift of 40 acres for the sole purpose of honoring the "long history and tradition of farming, ranching, and agriculture pursuit."

According to the County Commission records, Resolution No. 83-111 verifies this donation and states clearly that this land was accepted by the county acknowledging my parents "good will and community spirit." The wording of the resolution executes that the land will be utilized "specifically for development and use as such an agricultural center" to provide a "centralized, accessible center facility housing the various government entities and other agencies and services supporting agriculture."

Now, with no advance discussion nor notification, the current board and administration have embarked upon a plan to build the Emergency Operations Center on this land. It is a move that revokes the original intent and agreement of 1983.

I heartily support the safety issue for our citizens; however, I disagree at the choice of the site. There are long-range plans to add other facilities. The 4-H program and other agencies and groups have worked to bring about a rich resource for agriculture and forestry issues.

Commission Chairman Ben Rich asked to come to my parents' home, and in an uncomfortable meeting, treated us with a lack of respect. I had decided to not take a side on this issue, however, after this experience I must take a stand in honor of my parents, in respect to them as role models, as citizens who "believe in giving back to their community."

Rich's meeting included an embarrassing situation in which the county attorney was treated unprofessionally.

Commissioners have stated they can do what they want with this land.

I still believe in the power of the people. I do not believe citizens elected these commissioners to ignore our county's tradition, agreements and acts of good faith.

We are not against the new EOC. In fact we respect Ray Ashton and the men and women who strive to keep our county protected. Adjacent property near the Ag Center owned by the Anastasia Mosquito Control could be a possibility.

It saddens me to have to write this public column. However, it has become a necessity. I feel compelled to inform my fellow citizens that our community can be overridden by politics. I remain proud of my heritage as the daughter of a farmer and rancher.

This county still has a legacy of those who work the soil and keep their promises. I am not proud that St. Johns County does not appear willing to keep theirs.

In 1983 the Board of County Commissioners ended the resolution for this gift of land by stating they "herewith express its intention to abide by the terms of the gift and will in good faith endeavor to carry out the intent of the gift."

I hope other county residents believe as I do that public trust is a sacred bond between people and their government.

Laurie Usina Petty is the daughter of Charles and Gaybe Usina who donated the land for the county Agricultural Center.
Click here to return to story:
http://staugustine.com/stories/100707/opinions_er23td.shtml

© The St. Augustine Record

No comments: