In secret, behind locked gates, our Nation's Oldest City dumped a landfill in a lake (Old City Reservoir), while emitting sewage in our rivers and salt marsh. Organized citizens exposed and defeated pollution, racism and cronyism. We elected a new Mayor. We're transforming our City -- advanced citizenship. Ask questions. Make disclosures. Demand answers. Be involved. Expect democracy. Report and expose corruption. Smile! Help enact a St. Augustine National Park and Seashore. We shall overcome!
Friday, April 29, 2016
St. Johns County HRO Protecting GLBT Rights Needed. Now.
St. Johns County Human Rights Ordinance Protecting GLBT Rights My E-mail to Commissioner Bennett and County Attorney Patrick McCormack: Dear Commissioner Bennett and Mr. McCormack:
1. Please feel free to share your draft Human Rights ordinance with me.
2. As a former civil rights/whistleblower lawyer, former Chair of the ABA Young Lawyers Division Human and Civil Rights Committee, former member of the Council of the ABA Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities, author of the first article in an ABA publication on Gay Marriage (1991), author of eight articles in ABA peer-revised journals on human rights issues, and counsel for the prevailing plaintiff in Rinde v. Woodward & Lothrop (1989-1990)(D.C. HRO Gay rights case establishing equal spousal discount benefit rights), I would be happy to assist you in legislative drafting.
3. St. Johns County is NOT Jacksonville. "We, the People" do not tolerate anti-GLBT bigotry.
4. The 2010 and 2011 sexual orientation nondiscrimination ordinances enacted by our City of St. Augustine and City of St. Augustine Beach prove that our hearts are open, we are open for business and we renounce bigotry.
5. State Senator Travis Hutson has co-sponsored state nondiscrimination legislation.
6. St. Johns County is ready for you and BCC to lead the way to a better day. I appreciate that y'all do not endorse Korach's hate speech.
7. I look forward to talking with you Tuesday, May 2, 2016.