Documents from the Property Appraiser do not show any referral to the State's Attorney for fraud prosecution.
Did St. Augustine City Commissioner TODD DAVID NEVILLE commit homestead exemption property tax fraud, not notifying Property Appraiser that he and his wife are no longer living in their condominium?
St. Johns County Property Appraiser's June 1, 2016 letter to the NEVILLE, based on address change to post office box, immediately revoked exemption; the letter from Homestead Fraud Investigator gives NEVILLE 30 days to file affidavit if he still claims it.
NEVILLE admitted the property is rented, but never responded to my five questions, below.
What do you reckon?
Have controversial St. Augustine City Commissioner TODD NEVILLE, C.P.A. and wife HEATHER possibly committed misdemeanor homestead exemption fraud?
NEVILLE and wife HEATHER's homestead exemption from Florida property tax law, F.S. 196, is under investigation by the St. Johns County Property Appraiser's Homestead Fraud Investigator, Mr. Steve Garris, C.F.E. (Certified Fraud Examiner).
On June 1, 2016, City Commissioner TODD NEVILLE et ux received a letter from the Homestead Fraud Investigator, as a result of information from a third party vendor's information that NEVILLE had changed his mailing address from 167 Sunset Circle North, St. Augustine FL 32080 to Post Office Box 1718, St Augustine FL 32085.
The letter from Homestead Fraud Investigator Mr. Steve Garris, C.F.E. stated in pertinent part that "This action indicates to us that you are no longer a permanent resident of the property to which you claim homestead exemption." The NEVILLE's homestead exemption is being revoked unless they file an affidavit by July 1, 2016 stating that they are living on the property.
Since Spring, the NEVILLES have been seen living in Lincolnville at 71 Park Place, a property purchased for $450,000 December 29, 2015 by NEVILLE's parents, Timothy and Judith Neville, of St. Augustine Beach, and a family trust, with a transfer that same day for $100 reflected in county records.
Five questions that I posed the morning of June 15, 2016 to TODD NEVILLE by text message have not yet been answered:
1. Have you responded to the June 1, 2016 letter from certified fraud investigator Steve Garris from the St. Johns County Property Appraiser's office?
2. Is it true that you are no longer living at 167 Sunset Circle North?
3. Is it true that the property is rented?
4. How long has it been rented?
5. Why did you not notify the Property Appraiser that you're no longer living in the Homestead Property?
The homesteaded property where the NEVILLES no longer live was purchased for $285,500 on March 31, 2006. It is now appraised for property taxes at $126,392, which includes a $50,000 homestead exemption to which the NEVILLES are no longer entitled under Florida law.
Homestead exemption fraud is a misdemeanor and if convicted NEVILLE could be jailed or recalled from office.
The NEVILLES' marriage ceremony was performed by former St. Augustine Mayor JOSEPH LESTER BOLES, JR., defeated for reelection in 2014.
ODD TODD NEVILLE is most noted for:
1. Blocking an audit of 450th commemoration audits;
2. Grandstanding and grandiose self-promotion, including pugnaciously and publicly proposing to use City of St. Augustine funds to file a meritless libel lawsuit against Historic City News and Michael Gold over his opinion about conflict of interest, a misuse of City resources on legal research to promote a vendetta, in violation of the First Amendment;
3. Interrupting his four women colleagues like a sexist misogynist would, especially interrupting and harassing Mayor Nancy Shaver, as on June 13, 2016 when she asked questions about the LITTLEJOHN mobility contractor LITTLEJOHN's violation of that contract, having failed to present a timely work plan as required by the contract;
4. Promoting his wife's non-profit group (VELOFEST) and her profit-making business, with NEVILLE's running buddy, City Manager JOHN PATRICK REGAN, P.E. putting HEATHER NEVILLE on the new Mobility Task Force, a conflict of interest according to Captain Lee Geanuleas, U.S.N. (Ret.);
5. Showing citizen speakers disdain and disrespect with ostentatiously rude body language and utterances, sometimes interrupting and insulting citizen speakers and activists, using the term "gadfly" openly and notoriously as a pejorative;
6. Serving on the Board of Flagler Hospital, for which NEVILLE and his firm, NEVILLE BREIDENSTEIN & WAINIO is the certified public accountant.
7. Serving as an advocate for DAVID BARTON CORNEAL's DOW PUD and CORDOVA INN, attending a celebration party with City Manager JOHN PATRICK REGAN, P.E in the early morning hours of August 27, 2015;
8. Serving as accountant for Flagler College;
9. A constant state of agitation and anger and affinity for caffeinated Red Bull®;
10. Spending $2000 on personal funds on a survey whose results he has not disclosed.
11. Being partner in the firm formerly known as NEVILLE BREIDENSTEIN & WAINIO with the spouse of City C.P.A. MEREDITH BREIDENSTEIN, JUSTIN BREIDENSTEIN, who recently left the firm. (Updated).
12. Confrontational, combative, cruel coverup C.P.A. Commissioner NEVILLE (opposed to no-bid contract audits), our nasty St. Augustine City Commission ODD TODD NEVILLE (R-Proctorville), elected with MOMENTUM STRATEGIES GROUP, INC. floor-planning, rang in the New Year with disharmony and dissonance in an otherwise happy meeting where two new parks were created.