Sunday, December 03, 2006

Column: Thanks for making our area great

Thanks for making our area great



DEREK MAY
St. Augustine Record Publisher
Publication Date: 12/03/06


If there's one thing I have learned since moving to St. Augustine early this year, it's that family and friends are always happy to visit. As a matter of fact, our home often felt like a bed and breakfast this summer.

Thanksgiving was no different. My parents, sister, brother-in-law and niece came down for the long weekend. We spent four days playing golf, shopping, riding bikes and enjoying the beautiful weather.

I ate way too much.

Saturday night, we decided to go downtown for dinner. After pulling into the brand new parking facility, we hopped on the free shuttle and arrived in the center of the historic district within minutes. Downtown was lit up like a winter wonderland -- minus the winter. After enjoying dinner in a restaurant courtyard, we listened to a guitarist who was singing tunes we knew by heart.

My family departed the next day, worn out from an outstanding weekend.

Folks, we live in one of the greatest places on Earth. Certainly we have our challenges, but many of them stem from the fact that our little secret is out. Every year, thousands of people decide to call St. Johns County home. That alone is bound to create some problems. My family jumped at the chance to move here, so I guess we are part of the problem as well.

But I also plan to be a part of the solutions, whatever they turn out to be.

Like many, I am concerned about where we are headed. But I'm not worried, because I have met too many bright people in this community -- people who care deeply about its future. I know there are many more I haven't met. Together, we can face these challenges.

Thanksgiving might be over, but I would like to say "thanks" to all of you who stick your neck out there to make this a great place to live.

Did I mention I ate too much?



Derek May is publisher of The St. Augustine Record.


Click here to return to story:
http://staugustine.com/stories/120306/opinions_4245762.shtml

© The St. Augustine Record

No comments: