Thursday, January 12, 2012

Halt Television Production Company Vandals Who Propose to Destroy St. Augustine's History

Letter: Don't let reality shows exploit city's history

Posted: January 12, 2012 - 12:00am

Editor: It was wonderful to read that I am not the only person who loves St. Augustine and that we don’t appreciate others wanting to exploit it. Kudos to Kathy Deagan and Carl Halbirt for speaking out against the TV reality show that wants to come to our lovely city and allow people to dig for clues of the past.

When I read the article in Saturday’s paper, “Crews to dig up backyards for TV show, raising objections from city archaeologist,”

I was beside myself. I could not believe anyone in St. Augustine would want this historical city to be on a TV reality show. I can’t believe the citizens of St. Augustine would want the history of their city destroyed by reality TV show writers and producers who are only looking to make money. They do not care about our history or what they say would be “good publicity” for St. Augustine’s 450th anniversary.

I moved here approximately 1 ½ years ago with my husband. I was so impressed with the pride the citizens of St. Augustine take in their city. It was so refreshing. Most people feel that way about their state and a city is just a city; but not here. Here, people are proud of this “gran-dame”. They are friendly to everyone who visits. They are willing to talk to anyone who is willing to listen about the history of St. Augustine. My husband and I have that same pride. This is our home. Don’t come here and exploit it for your financial benefit. This proud city and her citizens don’t need that. We have more class than that and don’t want our history destroyed by “treasure hunters.”

No comments: