Tuesday, February 12, 2013

St. Augustine Record: Judith Seraphin's 2010 Reaction to Eighteen of Us Being Named to Nixonian DONALD CRICHLOW's "Enemies List"

Letter: Crichlow abused the public's trust

Posted: August 22, 2010 - 11:00pm
Editor: My husband Tony and I were first horrified to read the hateful remarks about us and other residents, that was printed in Friday's paper.
"Obstructionists?"
"Enemies of the city?"
"Vendetta?"
We're now amused by these ugly words (8/20), by outgoing City Commissioner Donald Crichlow. He's evidently angry because 18 diverse St. Augustine residents (through able counsel) requested documents from the city and First America Foundation, Inc. (I hope you read the article in Folio Weekly, Aug. 16).
Tony and I fell in love with this city and in 2005, we moved here. My life is busy enough, with my business and my church, but I have to speak out when I see injustice.
Who is Crichlow to insult us for asking questions? Crichlow is a lame duck. Does Crichlow "need" to fly to Spain, especially since he claims that dropping out would "save him a lot of work." "I'm not going to miss having to do that. From 9 a.m. in the morning, to 11 p.m. at night, you're either at dinners, receptions, parades or church. It's tiring and stressful." (St. Augustine Record story, 8/20)
Why would anyone want to go again on this trip if it is so stressful?
Crichlow abused the public trust, using "fear and smear" hatred against residents for expecting an open, frugal government.
All of us are thrilled to be on Crichlow's "enemies list." Those on Richard Nixon's "Enemies List" always wore it as a "badge of honor.
We are proud of all the residents who won civil rights and First Amendment victories -- African-American "foot-soldiers," gays, artists and entertainers -- victories for everyone and our right to live in peace and harmony, free from fear.
Today, I am proud of our neighbors, friends and fellow city residents -- "we, the people" stood up for our constitutional rights. Maybe it's a new day.

No comments: