Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Manuel: Remark 'inappropriate' County commissioner 'saddened' that he called Sheriff David Shoar a liar

Manuel: Remark 'inappropriate'

County commissioner 'saddened' that he called Sheriff David Shoar a liar

By MARCIA LANE
marcia.lane@staugustine.com
Publication Date: 07/15/08

St. Johns County Commission Chairman Tom Manuel said it was "inappropriate" for him to have called Sheriff David Shoar a liar when the sheriff said Manuel was the subject of an FBI investigation.

"I was saddened I called anybody a name. ... I don't do that," Manuel said Monday.

Manuel made the remark in June after Shoar said the commissioner has been the target of a year-long corruption investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Manuel said the allegation was "a political hatchet job" and said he had not been questioned or arrested by the FBI.

On Monday, Manuel would not directly confirm any role in the FBI investigation, saying only, "Obviously the FBI confirmed there was an investigation."

"Now it's in their hands. I'd prefer to see us focus on issues that are significant to this county's future," Manuel said.

He rejected other questions about the investigation.

"I'd love to speak to you on other (matters), but no more on this one," Manuel said.

Non-partisan voting, campaign financing, term limits and charter government are issues he said need to be discussed.

Manuel hasn't directly apologized to the Sheriff.

"I haven't seen him, no. I would be more than happy to tell him. I was saddened I called anybody a name," Manuel said.

He did apologize to a St. Johns County Sheriff's Office deputy for the remark, however.

St. Johns Deputy Tres Edenfield e-mailed Manuel to say it was "absolutely shocking that a commissioner of this county ... would call our Sheriff a 'liar' so blatantly and disrespectfully."

Manuel on Thursday sent the deputy a reply agreeing it was "inappropriate for me to have called the Sheriff a 'liar.' Please understand it was said when I was under great stress and I regret the comment."

He thanked Edenfield for "having the fortitude to call me on the carpet."

Edenfield said his e-mail was "in no way being sent to you with any knowledge whatsoever into this inquiry. I have no idea what it is about and it is none of my concern. What this email is in regards to is the quote referenced in the article that you called Sheriff David Shoar a liar."

Edenfield said there was no political motivation behind the e-mail. He said as a deputy sheriff it was his duty "not to just stand up for the citizens and property of this county but to stand up for (the Sheriff) and the well known fact that he is in no way a liar or deceitful."

Edenfield has been a deputy in St. Johns for about six-and-a-half years.


Click here to return to story:
http://staugustine.com/stories/071508/news_071508_063.shtml

© The St. Augustine Record

No comments: