Saturday, May 18, 2019

May 18, 1973: Senate Watergate Committee Hearings Commence

Fondly remember this day in history.  I was 16 years old.  Watching Senate Watergate hearings with my several of my high school history teachers, William L. Santry and  in the History and English Resource Center during breaks between classes.  Over the summer, I watched in the staff lounge at the Camden County College Library.

I learned firsthand by watching the hearings, and reading The New York Times every day, the enduring durability of our Founding Fathers' vision -- strong muscular democratic institutions to prevent, detect and deter tyranny.  Yes we can!  Yes we do!  Yes we will, again and again!

Today, that vision is under attack by Tinpot Napoleons, from local governments to DONALD JOHN TRUMP's White House.  Be not afraid.  (First words spoken by St. John Paul II as Pope, oft-repeated in the Bible).

Never forget.


No comments: