Saturday, July 17, 2021

Corazon Theater was a beacon of culture and warmth. (SAR)



I think there must be a federal antitrust investigation of how our only St. Augustine movie theater property was purchased by an absentee landlord, a speculator with a dodgy record.

That soulless speculator is represented by GARY BRIAN DAVENPORT, a full-time federal employee working for the Florida National Guard as an attorney, encumbering the title of "Major."

The late Attorney General Robert Francis Kennedy said, "It is not enough to allow dissent, we must demand it, for there is much to dissent from."

McGARVEY and his henchman, a moonlighting mean-spirited Florida National Guard Major, GARY BRIAN DAVENPORT, should be investigated

Real Americans dissent.

We dissent from an opportunistic infection -- a dodgy, snotty, snobby, smug, "upscale," self-promotion, self-aggrandizing, narcissitic  Ponte Vedra real estate speculator JAMES McGARVEY -- being allowed to kill our right to see "art house" movies downtown, with help from a full-time federal employee. This is a stench in the nostrils of our Nation.

We dissent from sleaze and dual loyalties.

I object to the Florida National Guard allowing its current doofus JAG Corps Major -- a self-confessed "commercial real estate" lawyer -- to represent private clients seeking to eviscerate our town.


Is the Florida National Guard de facto  or de jure giving its approval to raising ticket prices and depriving use of our only movie theater.  

This is a proposition of "sublime ugliness," in the words of the late appellate judge ROBERT BORK, rightly rejected for the Supreme Court,

When I attempted to speak to Major DAVENPORT, he got all uppity and hierarchical with me, blabbering on about my reputation.  He did not mean my history of helping win 70+ public interest victories since our Rainbow flags victory in 2005.  No, he yelled at me and said I was a "disbarred lawyer,"

Thanks, sweetheart, I already knew that.

What a disrespectful lugubrious goober.

Is that supposed to make me go away?

I am an American, whose father machine-gunned Nazis in three combat jumps with the 82nd Airborne Division.

You know the difference between "smug" and "superior?"

You may always be smug, GARY BRIAN DAVENPORT, but you will NEVER be superior.

DAVENPORT's legal writing is subpar.

His rationale on a Planned Unit Development fails the laugh test.  It fails the smell test.,

The Corazon Theatre  must be restored.

Fīat jūstitia ruat cælum

Let justice be done, though theheavens fall!

In the immortal words of the soccer cheer invented by a former African-American Naval Academy midshipman, a fellow Memphis law graduate: "I believe that we will win!"

Pope Francis' "Laudato si" encyclical expresses the same thoughts I had 35 years ago today, about humankind turning this frail planet into "a pile of filth."

With your help, "We SHALL overcome!

"I believe that we will win."

Let's not countenance JAMES McGARVEY's promiscuous abuse of a conflicted federal attorney to bully his way into demanding the elimination of our only remaining movie theater in the territorial limits of the City of St. Augustine, 

From St. Augustine Record:


Corazon Theater was a beacon of culture and warmth

St. Augustine Record
The Corazon Cinema & Cafe on Granada Street in St. Augustine announced it will permanently close.

A heartbreaking loss

I was saddened when I read Carla Wagoner’s announcement of the permanent closing of the Corazon Theater and Cafe.  

More:St. Augustine art house Corazon Cinema & Cafe permanently closes its doors

In the summer of 2015, I spent six weeks exploring cities in Florida from St. Augustine to Naples in search of a new home.  I had decided to become a cliche and retire to Florida.  When I discovered that St. Augustine, a town of less than 15,000, had an art house/repertory movie theater, I knew I had found my new home.   And this little town had a three-day international film festival!

I love movies, including off-beat movies that never show at the multiplex.  The Corazon provided just what I was looking for.  In addition to foreign, oldies and non commercial movies, the Corazon had comedy nights, trivia nights, poetry nights and was the location for the SRO filming of Jorge Rivera’s St Augustine Tonight series.  The Cafe served real deli style sandwiches and beer at reasonable prices.  Once a year, my daughter, who shares my love of movies, would drive from Orlando so we could dress up and go to the Oscar Night Gala.  She wore a ball gown, and we walked the red carpet, drank champagne and watched the awards for the best movies of the year in the company of other movie fans.   

Carla,  you have given St Augustine many hours of entertainment, art and joy.  The Corazon will be missed.  


No comments: