Saturday, August 30, 2014

Thanking my professors in undergraduate and law school

As a bored high school student, I actually started college at age 16, the summer of 1973.
I started at Georgetown University with my first class 40 years ago today, August 30, 1974.
I started law school as an old man of 27 at Memphis State University in 1983.
I expect to start graduate law studies in environmental law, probably after an administrative investigation but the Department of Education (and possibly a federal court jury trial).
Not many working class kids in our country got a thorough education then, or now.
Not many "symbolic analysts" as Robert Reich calls us, do anything to help working people.
Most lawyers -- some 90% according to Jimmy Carter -- represent the rich and powerful.
That leaves about 10% for the rest of us and for worker and environmental causes.
On this Labor Day weekend, I thank all of my professors, past and future, for helping me empower working people and environmental causes.
Yes we can!
Yes we will!

No comments: