Friday, April 03, 2020

April 3, 1968, Memphis, Tennessee: Here is the speech Martin Luther King Jr. gave the night before he died. (CNN)

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was arrested in St. Augustine on June 11, 1964. He said the St. Johns County Jail was the nicest he'd ever visited, Some 23 days later, President Lyndon Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, made possible by some 1000 people illegally arrested, like Dr. King, in St. Augustine (including sixteen rabbis, the largest arrest of rabbis in American history). Text from CNN from 2018:





Here is the speech Martin Luther King Jr. gave the night before he died

King: "I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man."
Martin Luther King Jr. delivered this sermon on the night of April 3, 1968, at the Bishop Charles Mason Temple in Memphis, Tennessee, as a storm raged outside. Titled "I've Been to the Mountaintop," it was his last speech. Some people believe its final passage prophesized his death the next day.
(CNN)Thank you very kindly, my friends. As I listened to Ralph Abernathy in his eloquent and generous introduction and then thought about myself, I wondered who he was talking about. It's always good to have your closest friend and associate say something good about you. And Ralph is the best friend that I have in the world.
I'm delighted to see each of you here tonight in spite of a storm warning. You reveal that you are determined to go on anyhow. Something is happening in Memphis, something is happening in our world.
As you know, if I were standing at the beginning of time, with the possibility of general and panoramic view of the whole human history up to now, and the Almighty said to me, "Martin Luther King, which age would you like to live in?"-- I would take my mental flight by Egypt through, or rather across the Red Sea, through the wilderness on toward the promised land. And in spite of its magnificence, I wouldn't stop there. I would move on by Greece, and take my mind to Mount Olympus. And I would see Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Euripides and Aristophanes assembled around the Parthenon as they discussed the great and eternal issues of reality.
But I wouldn't stop there. I would go on, even to the great heyday of the Roman Empire. And I would see developments around there, through various emperors and leaders. But I wouldn't stop there. I would even come up to the day of the Renaissance, and get a quick picture of all that the Renaissance did for the cultural and esthetic life of man. But I wouldn't stop there. I would even go by the way that the man for whom I'm named had his habitat. And I would watch Martin Luther as he tacked his ninety-five theses on the door at the church in Wittenberg.
    But I wouldn't stop there. I would come on up even to 1863, and watch a vacillating president by the name of Abraham Lincoln finally come to the conclusion that he had to sign the Emancipation Proclamation. But I wouldn't stop there. I would even come up the early thirties, and see a man grappling with the problems of the bankruptcy of his nation. And come with an eloquent cry that we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

    No comments: