Clay Meek

Clay Meek

Owner at Clay L. Meek, PLLC

Daytona Beach, Florida Area305 connections

Experience

  • Owner

    Clay L. Meek, PLLC

     - Present7 years 10 months

    After many years at my former firm, including supervising the workers' ​compensation group for most of my time there, I quit to start my own firm. I continue to practice in the area of workers'​ compensation and select civil litigation and criminal matters. I am also a Special/General Magistrate for local governmental entities including Volusia County and the City of DeLand, hearing various matters involving Codes and Ordinances.

    Within the Florida Bar, I am a member of the City, County & Local Government Section, the Administrative Law Section, the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, and the Workers' Compensation Section. I served as Chair of the Florida Bar's Workers'​ Compensation Rules Advisory Committee for 2013-2014 and served on that Committee overall from 2008 through 2014.

    I am also involved in the Volusia County Bar Association, serving as the founding Chair of the Solo and Small Firm Section of the Volusia County Bar Association for 2013-2014 and as a member of the Board of Directors for the term of 2014-2017. I have served as Secretary of the Board of Directors and as Treasurer, and am currently President-Elect. I am also the current Chair of the Workers' Compensation Section of the Volusia County Bar Association.

    I am rated by Martindale-Hubbell, which has been publishing ratings for attorneys since 1868; longer than any other organization in the United States. My rating is AV, which is the highest rating possible by that organization.

    My current clients include insurance companies and large, self-insured employers, as well as individuals and other businesses. I am regularly hired as a consultant by Volusia County firms and attorneys to assist regarding workers'​ compensation issues faced by their clients. I have also been retained as an expert in Circuit Court regarding workers' compensation.

    Contact me at:

    Clay L. Meek, PLLC
    P.O. Box 730188
    Ormond Beach, FL 32173

    Phone: 386-882-2667
    e-mail: claymeek@yahoo.com

  • attorney

    Smith, Hood, Loucks, Stout, Bigman & Brock, P.A.

     - 18 years

    I primarily worked in the area of workers'​ compensation litigation, mainly in the defense of insurance companies, and insured, self-insured, and uninsured employers. While there, I tried over 100 merit/final hearings in workers'​ compensation cases throughout Florida, but practiced mainly in the central Florida area as of 2010. I also handled workers' compensation appeals and have conducted oral argument before the First District Court of Appeals.

Education

  • Mississippi College School of Law

    Doctor of Law (JD)Graduated top 1/3 of class

     - 

    Activities and Societies: Federalist Society, Environmental Law Society, Law Library Student Worker

    I attended law school on a full scholarship that was initially awarded for the first year based on my undergraduate record and LSAT score, but was maintained for the second and third years by maintaining a GPA in the upper segment (top 1/3) of my class.

  • Bethel College (TN)

    Bethel College (TN)

    Bachelor of Science (BS)

     - 

Groups