UPDATE: TWELFTH ARREST ON JANUARY 22, 2019 FOR VIOLATION OF PROBATION:
Controversial former St. Augustine Commissioner ERROL DONLEVY JONES was arrested again January 17, 2019 -- arrested for the eleventh time since 2011. This time JONES was arrested for alleged battery and resisting an officer.
St. Johns County Court Judge Charles Jay Tinlin held a hearing at 8:30 AM January 17, 2019. Judge Tinlin read him his rights and found probable cause to believe that ERROL JONES committed the crimes, found him not indigent or eligible for court-appointed counsel, and ordered him held subject to $1000 bond. UPDATE: At 4 PM on January 19, 2019, JONES was released from County Jail, subject to Judge Tinlin's no-contact order with his victim.
As a Vice Mayor Commissioner, ERROL JONES was most noted for his:
- courageously voting against a putative apology for the events of 1964, weakened at the behest of Commissioner Crichlow, a racist who feared potential liability,
- demanding special favors,
- sexual harassment, including that directed against Ms. Veronda Luckett, then a married woman, who bravely sought and got a court order against JONES, who said he wanted to "boink" her.
- being a lickspittle for developers, whom he wound fawn over as he insulted citizens, as when he voted to allow Chester Stokes $1.5 million in brownfield credits for destroying the 1926 Donald Ross designed Ponce de Leon golf course for housing on contaminated land, stating the golf course was "not historic" because "my daddy couldn't play golf there,:
- chauvinism in opposing Rainbow flags on the Bridge of Lions, even going to federal court on June 7, 2005 with city lawyers in an attempt to influence United States District Court Judge Henry Lee Adams, Jr., who is also African-American (Judge Adams granted a TRO, ruling for Gay people and against the City, ordering Rainbow flags to fly June 8-13, 2005 in honor of Gay Pride and the victim of an anti-Gay 1566 murder of a Gay French interpreter of the Guale Indian language, on orders of City founder and Florida's first governor, Adelantado Pedro Menendez to Aviles,
- chauvinism in ardently defending City Manager WILLIAM BARRY HARRISS over illegal dumping if a landfill in a lake, excoriating those who wanted him prosecuted and blasting me for "advertising" this blog address at the podium on tv, once stating "quit whipping me" in response to concerns about his pro-dumping votes,
- chauvinism in interrupting me whenever I spoke about environmental crimes and environmental racism by the City,
- seeking to ban and prosecute street performers from St. George Street.
- being exposed in Folio Weekly in connection with his allegedly using his City Commissioner badge to accost citizens and to search illegally the plastic containers associated with a tour company operating in the public market.\
Upon his first arrest, circa 2011, JONES:
- asked the arresting officers, "Do you know who I am?" (This led Commissioner Leanna Sophia Amaru Freeman to remark to colleagues that she would like to change her Commissioner badge to add, "Do you know who I am?"
- sought to enlist City Manager John Patrick Regan, P.E. to get him un-arrested. REGAN rightly refused. (When the City Manager is not blackmailing Commissioners, our police can do their jobs, without fear or favor).
Little of what JONES ever did made it into the pages of the St. Augustine Record.
I have asked SAPD for the records.
From St. Johns County Jail Log, here are the inmate records on all eleven (11) JONES arrests: