Saturday, June 28, 2014

We shall overcome!

I have now lived in three civil rights battlegrounds in my life -- Clinton, Tenn., Memphis, Tenn. and St. Augustine, Florida. The first and last I had no idea were civil rights battlegrounds till after moving in. Memphis I knew was a civil rights battleground before moving there for law school.
Taking the 50 bus from Memphis State to downtown twice a week as a second and third year law student, I passed the Lorraine Motel, which was then abandoned. Who would have thought that it would rise, like a phoenix from the ashes, into such a wonderful civil rights museum! One of my law professors, later Judge, D'Army Bailey, et al deserve great admiration. We hope to have something like that here in St. Augustine, FLorida eventually.
Next week, on July 2, 2014, we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, made possible by activists here, and supporters from everywhere, including the six of sixteen rabbis arrested here with MLK in 1964 who visited here last week. We shall overcome!

No comments: