Saturday, August 25, 2007

Senator Sam Ervin: "I love my country.... I used to think that the Civil War was our country's greatest tragedy..."




Senator Sam Ervin: "I love my country.... I used to think that the Civil War was our country's greatest tragedy..."

As United States Senator Sam J. Ervin, Jr. (D-NC) said during President Richard Nixon's Watergate scandal in 1973, "I love my country.... I deeply regret that this situation has arisen, because I think that the Watergate tragedy is the greatest tragedy this country has ever suffered. I used to think that the Civil War was our country's greatest tragedy, but I do remember that there were some redeeming features in the Civil War in that there was some spirit of sacrifice and heroism displayed on both sides. I see no redeeming features in Watergate."

Likewise, there are "no redeeming features" in dumping the contents of the old city dump into the Old City Reservoir, or St. Augustine's plotting to erect adult entertainment zones, or St. Augustine's enabling wetland-killing, tree-killing, history-destroying speculators like ROBERT MICHAEL GRAUGARD (see below), or the Bush Administration's scandals in Washington, D.C.

From City Hall to the White House, our nation is awash in greed, misfeasance, malfeasance, nonfeasance, waste, fraud and abuse. The only way our country will survive is to dedicate ourselves to first principles enshrined in our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Blow the whistle on corruption and support those who do.

What do you reckon?

With kindest regards,
Ed Slavin
Box 3084
St. Augustine, Florida 32085-3084
904-471-7023
904-471-9918 (fax)

No comments: