Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Questionable Non-profit Children's Museum's Alleged Endorsement of Mayor BOLES: IN HAEC VERBA -- E-mail to BENJAMIN PLATT
Dear Mr. Platt:
1. Did Kresge Platt & Abare or tag! Children's Museum authorize you to endorse Mayor Joseph Boles for re-election in your E-mail this morning to your firm and tag! Children's Museum mailing lists? Or was this just a frolic of your own? The first paragraph of your E-mail makes it clear that you write on behalf of the Museum, stating inter alia:
"As many of you know, I have been the President of tag! Children's Museum for the past 5 years and am anxious for opening day. I want you to know that one of our biggest political supporters has been Joe Boles due to his passion for improving the lifestyle of those who live in and visit St. Augustine, as well as his strong interest in the education of the children in our community. The work he has done in this city is fantastic (sic). He is focused on our economic growth, culture, preservation of history and safety of our residents. I expect even greater things to come when (sic) he is re-elected Mayor."
2. Did you discuss this with your KPA partners and tag! Children's Museum board before doing it? If so, please share the minutes reflecting such discussion. If not, why not?
3. Did you consult with legal counsel as to possible ethics and breach of fiduciary duty issues?
4. Did Mayor Boles request the endorsement as a quid pro quo, or did you just do it sua sponte, ex nihilo? If it was a quid pro quo, please share the terms.
5. Were you and your clients and board members aware of the lease between the City and Boles for 81 St. George Street? (Florida Cracker Cafe and Savannah Sweets, $1332.21/month, no-bid lease in effect since 1989, starting at $100 month, between City, Boles and Claude Leonard Weeks, Jr.)?
Would you like to review a copy and comment upon it for publication?
6. Please send me a copy of the written KPA and tag! Children's Museum authorizations to speak for them on the Mayor's race in St. Augustine.
7. Please send me a copy of their respective corporate charters.
8. Do you reckon that tag! Children's Museum's non-profit status -- and your status with it -- will now be reviewed by federal investigators because you have so brazenly embroiled tag! Children's Museum in politics?
9. Do you intend to resign from the tag! Children's Museum board to spare it further embarrassment and federal investigative scrutiny over your political mailing in its name?
10. Please feel free to call me to discuss.
With kindest regards, I am,