Thursday, August 07, 2008

PONTE VEDRA RECORDER LETTER: Commissioner job is full time (contrary to CSX goober MARK MINER'S inane assumptions)

Commissioner job is full time

I got a call from a person who had attended a candidate’s forum in the northwest sector of the county.

They said County Commission candidate Mark Miner was asked how he was going to manage to be a commissioner, since he had a full time job and was going to school part time.

Apparently he replied that it would not be a problem since the job of commissioner was only part-time.

They asked me, if that was true about the job being only part time?

I thought about the 40 to 60 hours a week I spent my first year. On July 27, a newspaper story listed his campaign money was mostly coming from developers.

So the answer came to me. It may well be part time, if all you do is show up and vote the way you’ve been told. It’s happened often enough before and will no doubt again.

Mary F. Kohnke

Former St. Johns County Commissioner

Ponte Vedra Beach

No comments: