Sunday, October 11, 2026

(729 words -- DRAFT for comments) VOTE FOR ED SLAVIN, REJECT TWO FAKE POLITICAL PARTY "VOTER GUIDES" FOR ANASTASIA MOSQUITO CONTROL DISTRICT OF ST. JOHNS COUNTY

I would be honored to have your vote for Anastasia Mosquito Control District of St. Johns County, seat 2.

Somone whom I have never met, LUCY VITI, a cheap shot GANNETT reporter/distorter opined earlier this year that I am "obsessed with mosquito control."

Why am I interested in mosquito control?

o We can help save many lives caused by mosquito-borne diseases.

o We can fight corruption, too.

o We can set an example for larger government agencies -- County, cities, Water Management Districts and State of Florida.

My father was bitten by a malarial mosquito in Sicily as an 82nd ABN DIVN paratrooper in 1943.

One million American soldiers, Marines, airmen and Coast Guardsmen contracted malaria in WWII.

Mosquito-borne diseases kill some 900,000 people in the world each year.

My family was affected by one of those diseases. My mother told me when I was a little boy that the chances of my being born were less than one in 100,000.

My parents believed in America.  So do I.  Patience is a virtue.

Guided by their Roman Catholic faith my parents prayed to Saint Jude, the Patron Saint of Hopeless Causes that they could conceive a child.  

I was the answer to their prayers.  

It took my working class parents twelve years before the birth of their only child, on the first day of Spring in 1957.

I did not talk until I was three.  

My Mother recalled that when I finally spoke cognizable words, it was a complete, emphatic grammatical English sentence.   

It was an affirmative command. If you don't already know, I will tell you when you're older.

In 2006, my friend Robin Nadeau, the lovely late League of Women Voters leader called asked me to help her stop our Mosquito Control District's aerial program and to stop a helicopter they planned to buy for $1.8 million.  I told her I didn't think we could stop the aerial program, but that I knew we could stop the contract violation of public policy. (Restatement of Contracts, 2d, section 178).

We were a threat to the corrupt Establishment.  The Mosquito Control Board Chair, spouse of a former County Attorney, actually called the Sheriff, who later wrote that his staff spent 300 hours helping Mosquito Control to pick a helicopter.

We, the People won.  It took us ten months, but Robin Nadeau and Ann Palmquist, Diane Mills, former Army Captain Don Girvan, AMCD Commissioner Jeanne Jackson Moeller and AMCD Commissioner John Sundeman, C.P.A. and I won. 

The Mosquito Control District voted unanimously, 5-0, and cancelled an illegal, wasteful, no-bid contract for a luxury Bell Jet Helicopter incapable of killing a single skeeter. There was no pilot, no hangar, no tanks, no plan and no clue -- just overbearing desire to spend money.  

Always remember, "it's our money."

In 1952, General Dwight Eisenhower told the American people, "I will go to Korea!"

In General Eisenhower's spirit, to the people of St. Johns County, "I will go to meetings!"

Not every former Anastasia Mosquito Control Commissioner bothered to do so, including one who missed some 37 meetings.  While the AMCD Board asked that Governor DeSantis investigate and consider her unexcused absences to suspend or remove her pursuant to Florida Constitution, Article IV, section 7.

No response from the Boy Governor, our former Congressman, RONALD DION DeSANTIS.

Wonder why?  Often-AWOL CATHERINE BRANDHORST,  the Commissioner in question, conveniently changed her voter registration from Democratic to Republican.

 Fast forward to 2026.

Our misguided Republican friends and our misguided Democratic friends in St. Johns County have issued fake, unreasoned, "voter guides."  I am not among those they recommend.

The 2026 Republican "voter guide" endorses controversial former Anastasia Mosquito Control District of St. Johns County one CATHERINE BRANDHORST, the former Commissioner who missinged some 37 monthly meetings.

The Democratic "voter guide" supported me in 2024 and I received some 55,640 votes.

In 2026, Democrats say they failed to consider me because someone told them I was no longer a Democrat.   I sent them a color copy of my voter registration.  They did not respond.  Wonder why?  

Corruption is wrong.  Fake Voter Guides are wrong.  Wasting money on no-bid contracts is wrong.

Vote for me and I will be your watchdog.

Not a lapdog. 

Your watchdog.

It's our country and our County. It's not about donkeys and elephants. It's about right and wrong. 

What do y'all reckon?

No comments: