Friday, May 22, 2026

Cuban Pilot Charged in Downing of Planes Lived in Florida (David C. Adams, NY Times, May 21, 2026)

From The New York Times:

Cuban Pilot Charged in Downing of Planes Lived in Florida

The pilot, Luis González-Pardo, was one of the defendants in the indictment that included former Cuban President Raúl Castro.

Listen · 6:46 min
People in green coveralls study documents on a runway, near a large jet aircraft. Another person is on a red access ladder next to the jet's cockpit.
Lt. Col Luis Raúl González-Pardo, left, and Lorenzo Alberto Pérez-Pérez, both MiG pilots in the Cuban Air Force, in an undated photo included in the federal indictment against former Cuban President Raúl Castro.Credit...U.S. Department of Justice
Image
Several people stand around a large map, with one person pointing at it. Another person speaks into a bank of microphones in the background.
Members of Brothers to the Rescue showing a location where two of their planes were shot down off the coast of Cuba in 1996.Credit...Rhona Wise/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Mr. González-Pardo’s inclusion in the indictment is potentially significant because he is the only defendant in the United States and could testify in a trial.

If found guilty in the new indictment, Mr. González-Pardo faces life in prison.
His lawyer, Miguel Rosada, declined to comment on any of the charges.
Mr. González-Pardo flew one of the MiG fighter jets involved in the shoot down, but did not open fire, according to the indictment.
The charges brought a measure of satisfaction to one Cuban activist in South Florida, Luis Domínguez, who said he has spent years trying to identify all the Cuban pilots involved in an episode that has been an open wound in the Cuban exile community.
“He was in one of those MiGs that day,” said Mr. Domínguez, an investigator for the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba, a group that describes itself as promoting democracy in the island nation. “And he’s the only one that’s here that we have access to that can tell you who participated.’’
For years, two MiGs had been identified as involved in the shoot down. In 2003, a U.S. federal court indicted the two pilots and their commanding officer, but they lived in Cuba and were never tried.
But Mr. Domínguez said that in 2014 he learned of a report by a U.N. agency, the International Civil Aviation Organization, that detailed the involvement of two other MiGs in the chase for the third Cessna that returned to Florida. It was flown by José Basulto, the founder of Brothers to the Rescue.

A person wearing a tie and sunglasses speaking into microphone while another person looks on.
Brothers to the Rescue founder José Basulto in Miami days after the planes were shot down in 1996.\\The report, which is part of the U.N.’s public record, was commissioned in 1996 by the United Nations as part of its examination of the episode.

The report includes a transcript of radio communications between the MiG pilots and their base.

“That was like the Bible to me,” Mr. Domínguez said.

The transcript showed that the pilots spotted Mr. Basulto’s plane, a light-blue-and-white Cessna.

“OK, I have contact,” one of the pilots, identified as “22,” radioed to his base. But two minutes later, when asked to report, he stated that “we lost it. Did we pass it?”

Two minutes after that, the pilots were told to “suspend the mission.”

Cuban authorities later told the civil aviation agency that the mission was aborted because “the contact was then outside Cuban territorial airspace and withdrawing to the northeast.”

Mr. Domínguez said the transcripts provided clues about the other pilots in the episode.

The transcript showed that during the chase one of the pilots used his name, “Gual,” instead of his military call sign. One of the other pilots indicted on Wednesday is named José Fidel Gual Barzaga.

Armed with the tidbit about “Gual,” Mr. Domínguez said he started asking other former Cuban Air Force pilots who had defected.

He said he was eventually told that Mr. González-Pardo was aboard the second fighter jet that went after Mr. Basulto’s plane and that about a decade ago he had traveled to Florida to visit a sister living in Jacksonville.

“It was a process," he said. “It took a lot of patience.”

Mr. Domínguez said he obtained photos of Mr. González-Pardo visiting the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral.

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
Court records show Mr. González-Pardo first entered the United States in May 2017, when he also failed to disclose his military service in Cuba.
In 2024, Mr. González-Pardo entered the country again “after being granted humanitarian parole” under a Biden administration program for migrants, according to his plea agreement in the immigration fraud indictment.

Mr. Domínguez said he had reached out to federal authorities to share what he had learned about the Cuban pilots. An F.B.I. spokesman in Miami, James Marshall, said the agency would not comment on what he said was an ongoing investigation.

He also said he contacted members of Congress, including then Senator Marco Rubio, a Republican from Florida, asking how Mr. González-Pardo had been allowed to enter the country given his military record

In 2024, in a letter to Biden administration officials, four Florida Republican members of Congress, including Mr. Rubio, highlighted that Mr. González-Pardo was “notoriously linked” to the Brothers to the Rescue incident in 1996. The representatives also called for an investigation into Mr. González-Pardo’s entry into the United States.

In the letter they highlighted that the pilot was “notoriously linked” to the Brothers to the Rescue incident in 1996. “Former Cuban regime officials involved in the oppression of innocent Cuban citizens or the transnational persecution of Cuban-Americans” should not be allowed to remain in the United States, they wrote.

No comments: