John Doar with James Meredith and Chief U.S. Marshall James McShane desegregating University of Mississippi
Our Florida Court Clerks' Association is not a private club or the segregated Ole Miss campus, but a government contractor and must provide the records. Now.
Sent: Wed, Dec 24, 2014 2:53 pm
Subject: Gay Marriage Open Records Request to Florida Court Clerks Association -- Greenberg Traurig and Clerk's Association Playing Scrooge With Gay Marriage Rights
Dear Messrs. Kent, Vallo, Ray, Baggett, Burhans, Hudson and Londot and Ms. Smitha:
1. The Florida Court Clerks and Comptrollers Association is a non-profit government contractor of our St. Johns County Clerk of Courts (SJCCOC), below, and thus covered by our Open Records laws. See F.S. 119.0701, subject of a memo by Ms. Smith and Mr. Burhans, on the Greenberg Traurig website since September 2013 (attached to this e-mail). Lawbreaking by the Florida Court Clerks association could result in review by the IRS of its non-profit status. This matter is urgent.
2. Thus, I request (again) that the Florida Court Clerks Assn please provide all of the Greenberg Traurig billing statements, engagement letter(s), total billings since the beginning of the engagement and all paper and electronic documents of any kind on the Gay Marriage issue, as requested last week.
3. SJCCOC Ms. Cheryl Strickland referred me to the Florida Court Clerks' Assn. for documents; she and others and I all have a Right to Know.
4. Your tedious, tendentious, typical Tallahassee response has been negative, insensitive, unresponsive and unhelpful. We are not amused.
5. We are amused at Greenberg Traurig's memo for the Florida Court Clerk's Association, threatening criminal prosecution of court clerks for marrying Gay people. Harrumph! What chutzpa. Several State's Attorneys, including Palm Beach County State's Attorney David Aronberg, have already publicly said they will not prosecute court clerks. Kindly obtain such commitments from other States Attorneys and stop the circus of Greenberg Traurig's creation.
6. The noisome memo has made your association and your law firm laughingstocks around the Nation on this Christmas Eve. You need to solve the problem. Now.
7. Stop playing "Scrooge" with Gay and Lesbian peoples' civil and constitutional rights to Equal Protection and Due Process, please. Then we'll be done.
With kindest regards, I am,
On Dec 24, 2014, at 1:10 PM, "Cheryl Strickland - Clerk of Court"
Here is the information that I have:
Annual dues - $2,000
Conference registration - $100 (attend 2 to 3 per year)
Lodging – Varies by location, usually runs from $100 to $150 per night
Total travel budget is $8,500 – will spend less than $3,000 for clerk conferences
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:43 AM
To: Cheryl Strickland - Clerk of Court
Subject: Re: Gay Marriage
Thank you. What are our annual payments of dues, subscriptions, conference fees, book and publication orders, travel, lodging and entertainment to this association? What do they pay Greenberg Traurig for legal advice annually, and for this memo? Do you have a copy of memo? Thank you.