Record printed this election-night photo of Ed Slavin, Michael Gold and Mayor Nancy Shaver with libelous article.
City Hall's efforts to chill, coerce and intimidate free speech with a no-trespass order failed:
1. Attorney Jim Wilson, et al. promptly called City Manager John Regan, with no facts to support the illegal order. Jim Wilson was City Attorney from 1996-2008 and is familiar with the City's tactics. Jim Wilson is my attorney. The Record did not report this fact, or quote Mr. Wilson
2. All but one commenter on the Record website agreed with me.
3. The Record printed only one of them this morning.
4. But The Record printed a non sequitur "comment" by TOM RAINS (not based in reality and not based on anything in th City's no-trespass letter or the Record's article) and (wait for it): it was one that was never posted on its website as if it were a comment -- the comment speaks about something that was not in the newspaper and not cited as a basis for the letter.
5. Is the Record guilty of libel by printing a story that was not a story, refusing to print a fair response, and printing an internet comment that was never posted on its website? You tell me.
6. The Record refused to print my response to the illegal order. Read the hostile words from Opinion Editor Jim Sutton, who would not talk about his unctuous ululating ukase (below):
From: James Sutton
Cc: Fogel, Delinda
Sent: Fri, Dec 5, 2014 11:22 am
Subject: Re: AG' SUNSHINE MANUAL EXCERPTS RE: LACK OF 12/1 MEETING SEATING AND DELAYS IN PROVIDING RECORDS
I held room, but am filling it with something else. There is too (sic) much (sic) clearly (sic) erroneous (sic) information contained in it your piece. It may be your opinion, but it needs to based in reality. This is not. Pretty sure George will run it, Gold too.
But I’m taking a pass — and I’m not part of the great conspiracy trying to silence the light of your voice from the darkness of opression. I’m simply not allowing you to use us to spread half-truths and “facts” that have no basis in truth.