Monday, June 06, 2016

We Wear Their Scorn As Badge of Honor


All-white St. Johns County, Florida School Board
is wearing a yellow tie, second from right)
(SAR)


St. Johns County's all-white, all-Republican Commissioners, Administrators and Sheriff "Spends-a-Lot" DAVID SHOAR with $140 pair of scissors at dedication of overpriced $16 million County Health and Human Services Building, where County Administrator MICHAEL DAVID WANCHICK held Budget Hearing May 18-20, 2016.

In 1964, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called this "the most lawless city in America.

On June 6, 2016, I received this hate e-mail from St. Johns County School Board Chair PATRICK THOMAS CANAN, Esq., a criminal defense lawyer and former chief prosecutor here, refusing to answer any of my questions about possible bid rigging and antitrust violations -- only one (1) bid received for new Aberdeen K-8 Elementary school, 30% higher than expected:
"Dear Mr. Slaven (sic),
I received your most recent emails. I have always (sic) made myself available to the public and you (sic) to discuss pertinent school district issues. However, because of your recent behavior (sic) and unfounded (sic), abusive (sic) and insulting (sic) comments, I am not willing to engage in a dialogue with you. I honor my role as trustee of the citizenry as it relates to our children, but I don’t think my service requires me to endure (sic) and be subjected (sic) to mean-spirited (sic), antagonistic (sic) and false (sic) accusations. I trust (sic) you understand my position. "
Patrick Cannon
Sent from my iPhone




Convicted wife-killer BENJAMIN LIGHTSEY (son of former Sheriff's candidate and 
Sheriff DAVID SHOAR employee GLENN LIGHTSEY), left, 
with criminal defense lawyer PATRICK THOMAS CANAN (center)




I wear PAT CANAN's scorn as a badge of honor.  I responded as follows:

-----Original Message-----
From: easlavin
To: Patrick.Canan ; joynerj ; Beverly.Slough ; Kelly.Barrera ; Bill.Mignon ; Tommy.Allen ; fdupchurch
Sent: Tue, Jun 7, 2016 8:41 am
Subject: Re: SCHOOL BOARD CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT BID-RIGGING & MANAGEMENT CONCERNS & My Open Records Requests Nos. 2016-197,198,199,200,201,202 & 203: St. Johns County Schools Antitrust Concerns


Dear Chairman Canan, Dr. Joyner, School Board members and Mr. Upchurch:
1. In the Pentagon Papers case, a new Nixon-Republican judicial appointee, U.S. District Court Judge Murray Gurfein (later an appellate judge) famously wrote, "The security of the Nation is not at the ramparts alone. Security also lies in the value of our free institutions. A cantankerous press, an obstinate press, an ubiquitous press must be suffered by those in authority in order to preserve the even greater values of freedom of expression and the right of the people to know." United States v. N.Y. Times Co., 328 F. Supp. 324, 331 (S.D.N.Y. 1971).

2. The controlling legal authority is Article I, Section 24 of our Florida Constitution, adopted by "We, the People" (3.8 million votes, or 83%) in 1992.

3. I trust you understand our fundamental Right to Know about governmental affairs.  No further evasions or animadversions are desired or required.

4. Please delay no further in responding fully and fairly to my document requests and questions occasioned by only one (1) bid -- at 30% HIGHER COST -- from PERRY-McCALL for construction of Aberdeen K--8 Elementary School.

5. Please answer my questions today.

Thank you.

With kindest regards, I am,
Sincerely yours,
Ed Slavin
904-377-4998

I wear the local Establishment's scorn as a badge of honor.

But I repeat myself.
You can help support my investigations of local corruption and mismanagement, public interest advocacy and work for environmental protection and historic preservation in St. Augustine and St. Johns County right here (GoFundMe account0.


Authoritarian St. Johns County School Board Chair PATRICK CANAN does not know to whom he is talking, does he?  

I do not fear his threats.  

So for Nixonian School Board Chairman PATRICK CANAN, here's a quote from the Honorable Murray Gurfein, a Nixon appointee.

In the Pentagon Papers case, a new Nixon-Republican judicial appointee, U.S. District Court Judge Murray Gurfein (later an appellate judge) famously wrote, ""The security of the Nation is not at the ramparts alone. Security also lies in the value of our free institutions. A cantankerous press, an obstinate press, an ubiquitous press must be suffered by those in authority in order to preserve the even greater values of freedom of expression and the right of the people to know." United States v. N.Y. Times Co., 328 F. Supp. 324, 331 (S.D.N.Y. 1971).

United States District Court Judge Murray Gurfein (later promoted to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't seem that anyone has threatened you - however, it does look like you are slandering individuals..you kn ow you wouldn't have to beg for funding if you weren't disbarred in two jurisdictions