In secret, behind locked gates, our Nation's Oldest City dumped a landfill in a lake (Old City Reservoir), while emitting sewage in our rivers and salt marsh. Organized citizens exposed and defeated pollution, racism and cronyism. We elected a new Mayor. We're transforming our City -- advanced citizenship. Ask questions. Make disclosures. Demand answers. Be involved. Expect democracy. Report and expose corruption. Smile! Help enact a St. Augustine National Park and Seashore. We shall overcome!
Thursday, June 09, 2016
BURCHFIELD PERJURY DOCUMENTS OFF-LIMITS?
Update 11:57 AM: All documents have now been released. June 9, letter to St. Johns County Clerk of Courts and Comptroller HUNTER CONRAD: Dear Mr. Conrad:
1. Every single document -- some 80 of them -- in Dr. Dwight Hines, Ph.D. v. Timothy Burchfield, William B. Harriss, City of St. Augustine, et al., CA06-0319 is currently off-limits on the Clerk's computer system. Why? (See below).
2. This is the epic case where a possibly penurious affidavit was filed by Mr. Timothy Burchfield, then and now the Assistant City Manager, falsely claiming there were "no documents" responsive to Dr. Hines' request -- in 2007, represented by SIDENY FRANKLYN ANSBACHER, our City of St. Augustine belatedly produced some 45 pounds of paper documents, plus electronic records.
3. This case arose out of the City of St. Augustine dumping a landfill in a lake. The City refused to provide documents. The lawsuit was filed. Then two maladroit then-Commissioners, Joseph Lester Boles and Susan Burk, both attorneys, retaliated and publicly threatened to make Dr. Hines "pay the piper" for filing a "frivolous" lawsuit they had not read, with Commissioners agreeing to seek sanctions as a SLAPP suit to discourage Open Records litigation None were deserved -- the City ended up paying Dr. Hines' fees after the City hired private counsel, SIDNEY FRANKLYN ANSBACHER.
4. Please ask the Clerk's Fraud, Waste and Abuse investigator to investigate and report on why access was cut off to the public.
5. A 2013 docket notation refers to a "child support" matter -- this is erroneous.
6. What happened here?
7. I have sent a copy of this e-mail to Ms. Patricia Gleason, Esq., Assistant Attorney General, who can instruct you on your legal duties on Sunshine and Open Records.
8. I look forward to meeting you and discussing this with you. You are new on the Clerk's job, having only recently been appointed (at age 29) by anti-Sunshine Governor Richard Lynn Scott, apparently at the behest of Sheriff David Shoar, other local politicians and lawyers in preference to the longtime career deputy whom the judiciary had appointed as Acting Clerk of Court in Ms. Cheryl Strickland's place after Governor Scott failed to act timely on a replacement. We, the People expect you to do your job without fear or favor.
9. Kindly make all documents in Hines v. Burchield available to the public on the Clerk's website no later than noon today, June 9, 2016.