From: Ed Slavin
Sent: Mon, Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm
Subject: Request No. 2018-173: Lozman v. Riviera Beach -- 8-1 SCOTUS decision on First Amendment rights of citizens speaking in Florida government meetings
1. Please send me your legal analysis and advice to our respective five (5) local elected local government Commissions on Lozman v. Riviera Beach.
- St Johns County Commission
- St. Augustine City Commission
- St. Augustine Beach City Commission
- St. Augustine St. Johns County Airport Authority
- Anastasia Mosquito Control Commission of St. Johns County.
- threats of ejection or arrest,
- unreasonable and unevenly applied limitations on time for public comment (e.g., St. Augustine Beach's limit of two minutes to speak on agenda items),
- hostile Commissioner opening monologues, inter alia chilling free speech rights to public comment before it even begins, or
- ejections of citizens exercising their First Amendment right to speak in government meetings, as at St. Augustine Beach City Commission.
From Washington Post: