Sent: Mon, Dec 21, 2015 11:08 am
Subject: 2016 Joint Meeting Between Commissioners of Two Cities and County Commissioners at Flagler College Auditorium
Dear Mayor Shaver, Chairman Smith, Mayor-elect O'Brien, Vice Mayor-elect George, Vice Mayor Horvath, Vice Chair Johns, SAB, COSA and County Commissioners and Messrs. Regan, Royle and Wanchick:
I suggest an evening Joint Town Meeting at Flagler College Auditorium next year between the combined Commissions of St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach and St. Johns County to discuss:
1. Protecting First Amendment rights from government overreach and retaliation
2. More meaningful public participation in governmental decision making
3. Increasing transparency and compliance with Sunshine and Open Records (Article I, Sec. 24 of Florida Constitution)
4. Responding to flooding, ocean level rise and global climate change
5. Environmental protection, growth management and historic preservation
6. Enacting St. Augustine National Historical Park and National Seashore
7. Enacting a strong countywide ethics ordinance, as Florida law allows, and providing for Ombuds and an Inspector General
I appreciate the three Commissions heeding my prior suggestions since 2011 for joint city-county meetings.
Now, let's involve both cities at the same time, with fifteen Commissioners on stage at Flagler College, listening to each other and local residents.
Let's hold all future joint city-county meetings in an open public forum friendly to public participation, with live video coverage -- at night, not during the workday, and televised on both our local public access government cable stations.
Thank you for all that you do.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:
With kindest regards, I am,