Friday, May 27, 2016

SAMUELS: "DON'T CARE HOW HIGH THE BUILDING IS"

St. Augustine Beach's dictatorial City Commissioner ANDREA SAMUEL showed her insensitivity, repeatedly, to public concerns about building height, mangrove tree preservation and the right of citizens to speak their mind without being intimidated by angry Commissioners.



St. Augustine Beach City Commissioner ANDREA SAMUELS showed her pro-developer colors at the Special Meeting of the St. Augustine City Commission, St. Augustine Beach Tree Board and St. Augustine Beach Planning and Zoning Board, Thursday, May 26, 2016.  She stated, "I don't care how the building is, I just don't want to lose FEMA." Her remarks were at about 5:50 PM.

In public comment, I criticized ANDREA SAMUELS for this, noting that voters chose a 35 foot limit, which was being violated egregiously by hoteliers and builders of McMansions.

I also criticized SAMUELS' hostile and uninformed remarks about wanting to delete mangrove protection.

During a recess, I heard her using my name in a loud conversation with consultant Lindsay Haga, some twenty feet away.

As I was leaving, ANDREA SAMUELS accosted me, yammering at me in a language other than English, possibly Yiddish or Hebrew, of which I know but a few words.

Her tone was hostile, like she was picking a fight.

So I ignored her.

She pursued me out of the building.

I do not heavily mortgage my time waiting for civility from this clueless Commissioner, or an apology, but for the record, I later wrote her an e-mail, to which she has not responded, also reporting her to SABPD:

-----Original Message-----
From: easlavin
To: hardwickra ; parkerja
Sent: Fri, May 27, 2016 11:23 am
Subject: Re: Commissioner Andrea Samuels' remarks to Ed Slavin during 5/26 St. Augustine Beach Special Meeting Recess
Dear Chief Hardwick:
1. No, I did not report it -- I left.
2. I sent an e-mail to Commissioner Samuels as soon as I got home, with copies to you, Commander Parker and others.  
3. Commander Parker was nearby and may have heard the words and tone of voice.  
4. Still waiting on Commissioner Samuels to provide me with an English translation of what she said.
Thank you for your prompt response.
With kindest regards, I am,
Sincerely yours,
Ed Slavin
904-377-4998

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Hardwick <hardwickra@sabpd.org>
To: 'easlavin@aol.com' <easlavin@aol.com>; James Parker <parkerja@sabpd.org>
Sent: Fri, May 27, 2016 11:14 am
Subject: RE: Commissioner Andrea Samuels' remarks to Ed Slavin during 5/26 St. Augustine Beach Special Meeting Recess


Mr. Slavin,
                I am in receipt of your e-mail and your request. There were two law enforcement officers working that meeting last night, one being Commander Parker. Did you bring it to their attention so we can pull the officer’s notes from the computer aided dispatch screen, at this time we are unable to locate anything? Regardless, Commander Parker will be reaching out to you today for a follow up. Have a good weekend.
Robert A. Hardwick
Chief of Police
St. Augustine Beach Police Department
2300 A1A South
St. Augustine Beach, FL. 32080
Main (904)471-3600
Fax (904)471-0737
FBINA #247
Original artwork Patchblue
LEGAL NOTIFICATION: Florida Sunshine Statutes entail very broad public records requirements (F. S. 119). As required by law, all e-mails to and from the St. Augustine Beach Police Department are subject to public record. Your e-mail communications, including your e-mail address may be disclosed to the public and media at any time. If you have received this communication in error, do not distribute it. Please notify the sender immediately by electronic mail and delete.
From: easlavin@aol.com [mailto:easlavin@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2016 10:46 AM
To: Robert Hardwick <hardwickra@sabpd.org>; James Parker <parkerja@sabpd.org>
Subject: Commissioner Andrea Samuels' remarks to Ed Slavin during 5/26 St. Augustine Beach Special Meeting Recess
Dear Chief Hardwick and Commander Parker:
1. St. Augustine Beach City Commissioner Andrea Samuels rather loudly accosted me last night, in a language other than English.  (Please see e-mail below).
2. I then left the meeting.  Commissioner Samuels then proceeded to follow me after I left the building.  
3. At no time did I ever respond to Commissioner Samuels' provocative behavior -- I refused to allow her to bait me or provoke me. 
4. Again: I left and she followed me.
5. I am concerned about Commissioner Samuels' anger and hatred, and that of her husband, Robert Samuels, and of William Jones, SABCA President. 
6. Please tell these three (3) persons to cease and desist further efforts to chill, coerce and intimidate First Amendment protected activity -- mine or anyone else's.
Thank you.
With kindest regards, I am,
Sincerely yours,
Ed Slavin
904-377-4998


Left to right: SABCA President WILLIAM JONES, Commissioner ANDREA SAMUELS, et ux, SABCA VP ROBERT SAMUELS, tedious tendentious serial First Amendment violators?
-----Original Message-----
From: easlavin <easlavin@aol.com>
To: comasamuels <comasamuels@cityofsab.org>
Sent: Thu, May 26, 2016 8:57 pm
Subject: Translation, please, of Commissioner Andrea Samuels' remarks to Ed Slavin during 5/26 SAB Special Meeting Recess
Dear Commissioner Samuels:
1. After public comment and during the recess tonight, I did not understand whatever you were rather loudly and rapidly saying to me (in a language other than English) as I was leaving the St. Augustine Beach City Commission meeting room (shortly before 8 PM).   I did not respond.  I left the room.
2. To refresh your recollection, your remarks were right after you spoke to Ms. Haga and made a loud, derisive reference to me, which I heard 20-30 feet away.
3. Please elucidate, translate and repeat in writing whatever it was that you were saying to me tonight, for the record.
Thank you.
With kindest regards, I am,
Sincerely yours,
Ed Slavin
904-377-4998

No comments: