SABCA does not own our county park. It merely thought it did.
SABCA does not own our elected officials. It merely thought it did.
For years, SABCA functioned as a favored, no-bid monopoly, even using the address of St. Augustine Beach City Hall to conduct its business -- look at its annual reports on the sunbiz.org website, listing the Old City Hall as its business address, before the new City Hall was built.
Supine, submissive, other-directed 80 year old St. Augustine Beach City "Manager" BRUCE MAX ROYLE treated Mayor and Commissioner ANDREA SAMUELS as if she were Queen, allowing favored policies, such as a $1/year building lease prohibited by City policies but allowed by permissive Commissioners, who emitted trite tropes about how SABCA does "so much for the City," e.g., buying SAPD and City Manager capital equipment to buy affection ad buy votes.
Enough, said the County, voting to issue a Request for Proposal.
Four entities applied.
SABCA came in last.
SABCA will soon close, having never disclosed its accounting records.
Here's the latest lying fatwa from disgruntled disgraced ex-Mayor ANDREA SAMUELS et ux ROBERT SAMUELS and St. Augustine Beach Civic Association President WILLIAM JONES.
How gauche and louche. That's pure chutzpa, the best textbook example I've seen in a long time. (Chutzpa is sometimes defined by example as the lack of character exhibited by the schnorer who committed patricide and matricide and threw himself on the mercy of the court for being an orphan.
The RFP process was open. The no-bid contract process not. The Cloak of Secrecy belong to the SABCA gang for twenty years.
The cloak of secrecy was SABCA's. It ends on July 17, 2018 at County Commission:
- Still waiting on the Record to publish its promised "investigation" of SABCA's finances.
- Still waiting on SABCA to disclose all of the financial records I requested in early March 2018.
Entitled, arrogant, secretive, slithering SABCA:
- Enjoyed a no-bid monopoly, without competitive bidding, 1999-2018.
- Whines because it was fourth-rated of four qualified bidders in 2018.
- Overcharges vendors, including unauthorized parking charges, to create revenue used in secret, some supposedly to subsidize concerts already subsidized by the County.
- Violated First Amendment rights of citizens and candidates, co-creating with the County a "First Amendment zone" where it punitively attempted to cabin constitutional rights, resulting in the County Commission ending it unanimously.
- Retaliated against William Rosenstock, former St. Augustine Beach Code Enforcement Board Chairman and had him arrested for raising concerns about a vendor. "We got hm," then-Mayor and longtime SABCA maven "Angry Andrea" Samuels allegedly said.
- Discriminated against the disabled, with its "volunteers" blocking ADA parking spaces.
- Exhibited financial flummery, refusing to disclose its financial records.
- Falsely claims no money goes to salaries.
- Affects martyrdom and victimization when questioned.
- Engaged in pay-to-play and logrolling with develpefrs like Farid Ashdji, whosh demanded to be relieved of contractual obligations to pay for drainage at the new Marriott Courtyard.
- Acted like dull, driven, other-directed Republican Lords of All They Survey at SAB, supporting candidates and contributing money to raise sales taxes, helping relieve developers of $150,000,000 in impact fees and property taxes over ten years (the PAC they contributed to raised some $187,000
SABCA "going, going, gone." Gone with the windbags.
Here's SABCA's hate latter: