Sunday, May 10, 2015

JIM SUTTON, RECORD: Thanks for disclosing prior personal relationship with Commissioner Nancy Sikes-Kline. (BUT: 1. Never blogged about it. 2. Conspiracy theorist?)

Jim Sutton's column today inaccurately claims I blogged about his relationship with Commissioner Nancy Sikes-Kline. Never did. Perhaps he mistakes this newfangled e-mail with the newfangled blogging?
Also, he left out item 6 of my e-mail, sans ellipsis, omitting my stating inter alia: "As I said to you on the telephone earlier this morning, I appreciate your history of professionalism, including your stories some 15 years ago about six local businessmen's attempt to use legal legerdemain to take over the American Legion building property on Avenida Menendez."
Why?
He also left out my response to his e-mail, stating inter alia re Commissioner Nancy Sikes-Kline: "I like her, too. Cool lady. Never said "recuse," just "disclose." thanks, Ed"
Also, conspiracy theorist?
Sneaky?
Smarmy?
Silly?
Supercilious?
How gauche and louche, a substitute for thought?

In the interest of full disclosure, here's the previously unblogged e-mails on the subject, in haec verba:

From: Ed Slavin
To: James Sutton
Sent: Sun, May 10, 2015 9:44 am
Subject: Never blogged about it

Interesting column, but erroneous premise. Conspiracy theorist?

-----------

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Slavin
To: James Sutton
Cc: NancySikesKline
Sent: Fri, May 1, 2015 10:43 am
Subject: Re: Your Prior Engagement to Marry St. Augustine City Commissioner Nancy Sikes-Kline and Your April 26, 2015 Editorial, "Time to put distance between distraction and destiny in St. Augustine"

I like her, too. Cool lady. Never said "recuse," just "disclose." thanks, Ed

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2015, at 9:00 AM, James Sutton < jim.sutton@staugustine.com> wrote:

Dear Ed,
This is a reach even for you... but Nancy Sikes-Kline and I did date for a short period (pre-Sikes-Kline, in case you were heading there, too) over 20 years ago. We were never engaged to be married, and I suspect we’d both agree that we were never suited to go anywhere near there. No, I do not think I need to recuse myself from commenting on the city commission because of this. You’re welcome to use this reply in any way you choose, but I’d ask that you print it in it’s brief entirety if at all. On a personal note, I recall that she was a very nice person with which to spend time — a pretty good-looker, too. Oh, and her mom didn’t like me much. That’s about it.
Regards,
Jim Sutton

Jim Sutton
Opinion Page Editor

The St. Augustine Record | StAugustine.com
One News Place, St. Augustine, FL 32086
T 904.819.3487
jim.sutton@staugustine.com

On 4/30/15 11:56 AM, "easlavin@aol.com" wrote:

Dear Jim:
1. Do I understand correctly that you and Commissioner Nancy Sikes-Kline were once engaged to be married?
2. If so, during what period of time?
3. If so, would journalistic ethics strongly suggest that you now kindly disclose that fact in your next editorial?
4. Your April 26, 2015 editorial, "Time to put distance between distraction and destiny in St. Augustine " relied in haec verba upon Commissioner Sikes-Kline's views as to Mayor Shaver, her approach, her style, her alleged her need for "training" and the alleged rudeness of her "supporters" at the March 23, 2015 City Commission meeting?
5. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
6. As I said to you on the telephone earlier this morning, I appreciate your history of professionalism, including your stories some 15 years ago about six local businessmen's attempt to use legal legerdemain to take over the American Legion building property on Avenida Menendez.
Thank you for all that you do.
With kindest regards, I am,
Sincerely yours,
Ed Slavin
904-377-4998

No comments: